[Metrology] Cutting tool steel

bob_mcc_ct

Registered
Registered
I need to shorten several reamers, the largest being 0.50" diameter. I am primarily a woodworker and not an equipped metalworking shop. Need low tech, low cost, ideas.
Thank you,
Bob McConnell

use an angle grinder with a thin fiber metal cutting blade, then clean up the cut edge on a grinding wheel.
why do you need to shorten them ?

Shorten the cutting end or shank end? You might be able to cut the shank end with a hacksaw depending on the reamer and blade you use. An angle grinder would be the most commonly found power tool you could use. But you would need to go slowly to avoid overheating the steel and possibly ruining the hardness.

I've shortened the shank end down with just hacksaw. After the first stroke or two you'll know if it's soft enough to cut or not.

-frank

If you are talking about cutting the end that starts into the hole, watch out. First, reamers are hardened. Next, most are tapered for the first part of the flutes to get started straight in the work and gradually up to size. Some are parallel in diameter, but have cutters like a drill bit on the very tips of the reamer flutes to open up the hole. If you cut the cutting end of the reamer shorter, you are likely to have big trouble with using it.

Other than waterjets (which use garnet or diamond abrasive) or plasma, the usual way of removing hardened tool steel is grinding with carborundum (silicon carbide) or even aluminum oxide grinding wheels or cutting discs. From there you just need to figure out what you have (dremel, angle grinder, chop saw, etc.) or want to pay for, and go from there.

If I were a betting man I would put money on picking up a basic dremel or corded angle grinder at most any pawn shop most any day of the week for $20-40. And you can get a basic Ryobi angle grinder (plenty good for occasional non-professional use) for $40 brand new, or a Harbor Freight Dremel-style tool for $10-15.

But before spending a dime make sure you understand Bob's excellent explanation above.

for cutting the shank down an angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade will do. But if cutting down the front end that does the work you will have to send it out to a cutter grinder as it will need new cutting edges put on.

Shorten the cutting end or shank end? You might be able to cut the shank end with a hacksaw depending on the reamer and blade you use. An angle grinder would be the most commonly found power tool you could use. But you would need to go slowly to avoid overheating the steel and possibly ruining the hardness.
Ordered a Makita angle grinder from Amazon, should have it by Sunday. Can see there will be several things I can use it for in the future. Thanks for the recommendation. I am shortening the reamer so I can drill the hole and then insert the reamer in the chuck without changing table level and getting off center.

Back