Cutting tool preference for Aluminium

I preferentialy use uncoated carbide for aluminum. Sometimes I have no choice but to use HSS. Then I take the time to stone the edges as sharp as I can make them.

my go to for turning/facing most metals is a ccmt 3251. i get a good finish with 6061 (flood coolant). if i'm picky i go to a komet w00 34360.0203
(google it). i got stuff to do so i don't have time to grind hss all the time like my grandpappy did. i only grind for special jobs

and although some people may fry food with crisco i think it is really meant as a bore butter for cap and ball revolvers

It's interesting to note that the stuff is found on regular store shelves (not chilled) and has no 'best before' date. Better to use it for machine and black powder shooting than eating.

Totally agree with the (uncoated) CCGT AK inserts. I have not had a bad finish from 6061 but I would say I get a slightly different finish depending on the source of material for some reason. Also note they come in different nose radius so experiment. Even the larger radius don't build up too much heat on aluminum & leave a mirror finish. I agree with cutting fluid rec, personally use Tapmatic (aluminum) mostly because I have it & not quite as strong an odour or fumes under heat as others. I think the big thing is it helps aluminum from coating the nose.

I've purchased majority of inserts from Ebay, Korloy for the most part (assuming they are real Korloy). I just cant tell the difference between these at $2 a pop vs. the $8 ones from tooling suppliers. At the price I'm pretty sure the cost of HSS blank + electricity to grind them works out higher than an insert :) But hard to replicate the insert chip breaker - well maybe not breaking but more manageable swarf,

The other thing is you can get a complete boring bar selection which uses these exact same inserts so all your ID cutting will similarly benefit. I've even seen face mills that use the opposing 2 edges.

It's interesting to note that the stuff is found on regular store shelves (not chilled) and has no 'best before' date. Better to use it for machine and black powder shooting than eating.

You're probably right...
I'm a fan of cold pressed olive oil or wild animal fats!

cooking-oil-pure-canola.jpg

I'm a fan for using Canola oil which has one of the highest smoke temperature ratings. Used on steel and aluminum.
I tried just about everything I could find and Canola oil worked best. I got that idea from someone on this site several
years back and I thank him whatever his name is. Typically I grind all of my own HSS tool steel cutters. Ive used a few
replaceable cutters but I don't find them easier to use and I still have to hone the cutting edge to make them work as
well as the home made cutters. Back to the canola oil, the wife never gets annoyed when I steel it from the kitchen
I brush it on usually with an acid brush.

I use uncoated WNMG inserts for aluminum and WD-40 (sparingly) for deeper cuts with pretty good results. These cutters can be flipped/rotated providing six cutting edges before discarding. I'm only on my second edge after 1.5-2 years and have turned a fair amount of T-6 aluminum. I am a fan of inserts and only use HSS for custom grinds. The biggest difference is these cutters have a much sharper point than my go to insert for turning steel.

I took .060"-.080" DOC (on first of two wheels) last week at at 650-750 RPM and feed rate of .0090/rev the surface finish was excellent.
IMG_2534.JPGIMG_2535.JPGIMG_2543.JPG
IMG_2544.JPG
Used 00 steel wool to finish off requiring fast a few seconds. The second hand wheel was turned at .100" DOC and did produce a little smoke with WD-40 but I like the smell:). Mark (mksj) turned me on to the WNMG inserts for aluminum and has saved me considerable time by eliminating sanding/polishing.
Hope this helps.
Paco

For aluminum, I like the brazed carbide tools as I can grind them if necessary. I also use HSS if I want a mirror finish or need a special profile. WD-40 or WD & Kerosene blend for cutting, but I'm gonna try Hawkeye's Crisco trick for sure.

CCGT inserts are my goto for non-ferrous metals and plastics. Second choice would be HHS but I generally only use HHS for specialty tools.

50-50 mix of Kerosene/WD-40 for aluminum. Straight kerosene works well on stainless. Not a fan of the sticky residue from bio oils.

Back