Cutting thin brackets

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been asked to cut down some brackets. They are a thin bent type.

They asked as a milling job, but I am concerned about rigidity problems and workholding with the thin metal. Has anyone done something like this? He wants the short tabs made shorter, to about 0.100". I'm tempted to just fire up the belt grinder and go to town on them. Also considered Dremmel cutting discs, bandsaw (I think it's too thin), and plasma. Any other options I could consider?

I bet that would work, but I don't think I can convince the wife I need that for a single favor. I'm generally up for excuses to buy tools, but that might be overdoing it. :)

I admit that’s a pricey option, but it’s the first one I found. We got a cheaper version when I was working with Raymark in the 90’s and it could only hold +/- 0.01” so it saw limited use

Cutoff wheel, finish on the belt sander, burnish the edges so there's no unneeded blodletting. Protect with blue masking tape to prevent scratches while cutting and sanding smooth.

Cutoff wheel, finish on the belt sander, burnish the edges so there's no unneeded blodletting. Protect with blue masking tape to prevent scratches while cutting and sanding smooth.

Something like that is probably going to be where I end up. And yes, removing the burrs to avoid causing blood loss. :)

Work holding will be a problem. If you mean the tabs on the inside of the vee, I would be inclined to fit a piece of flat stock as a hold down and climb cut with an end mill. If the flat fits tight to the tab, it should provide enough support to prevent vibration or bending of the tab. For additional support could be added to the outboard side. The flat stock can be thicker then the height of the tab to improve rigidity. with a small shelf being cut for clearance. If the flat stock extends out from the bracket, it can be clamped in place so additional brackets can be machined without a loss of registration.

I've been asked to cut down some brackets. They are a thin bent type.

They asked as a milling job, but I am concerned about rigidity problems and workholding with the thin metal. Has anyone done something like this? He wants the short tabs made shorter, to about 0.100". I'm tempted to just fire up the belt grinder and go to town on them. Also considered Dremmel cutting discs, bandsaw (I think it's too thin), and plasma. Any other options I could consider?
I think your idea about using the belt grinder is right on.
How many? If a large number, I might consider an alternative.

People sometimes ask for something to be done one way without having a clue of the many ways to accomplish a task….

They told you what they need… how you do it is up to you.

I like @RJSakowski approach…

Back