Cutting Thick Sheet Metal

What size stock you cutting and is it strait lines? For smaller stuff that gauge Ill flip it vertical up against a piece of wood and cut it on the bandsaw.

I’ve had good results on thicker sheet metal with a nibbler and a guide for straight cuts.

I've used my Milwaukee 6852-20 (18 GA steel)
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Metalworking/Shears-and-Nibblers/6852-20
on 18 gauge stainless quite a bit but it has to be at just the right tool angle to the material and it's not that easy. It does make a nice clean cut but only slight curves. I used it lots when I used to do construction, roof metal and aluminum flashing. For cutting the SS recently, I purchased a new cutting head which worked much better that the old (15+ years) dull one.
Looks like the 2636-20
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Metalworking/Shears-and-Nibblers/2636-20
would do the job better.

That Kett that AUKAI mentioned looks OK too but from what I can see, it does not have a rotatable head. I always keep the head on my Milwaukee rotated so the handle is upside down and the cord does not get in the way.
Aaron

There are nibblers too that go around corners, but the shards/swarf are the devil with two prong horns.

In my shop I try to have multiple ways to do most cuts, and then test and find the way that work best for the particular job at hand.

Much depends on the size and shape, as well as material.......

For this question, I would consider these and find what works best:
1) metal bandsaw (I'd buy a high-quality blade and ration its use for stainless only)
2) hand shear (like this)
1587038848827.png

3) metal chop saw (like this)
1587038809169.png

-brino

Attachments

• 1587038767631.png
    1587038767631.png
    833 KB · Views: 12
I have two nibblers can cut 16g but that’s about the max and it’s pushing it. Bought second hand. You could buy a plasma cutter for the price of a nibbler new rated at thicker gauges.

+1 on Bruno's bench shear for stock 1/8" and thinner. Got mine from Woodward Fab for $100.

Bruce

Back