Cutting steel with circular saws

Just would like to report that I have purchased this blade and tried cutting 6 mm thick 1018 steel plates without any apparent problems. The saw is a corded 7 inch wood cutter, 1500 Watt , 5300 rpm. Not sure how it will do in the long run though.

1697138175025.png

Just tried cutting a 16 mm thick 1018 steel bar with the blade above. 4 passes taken. The work piece is kind of hot when finished but still can be held by hand so it's not exactly cold cut. Again, no problems seen. I am happy with the blade so far.

Attachments

• PA130012.JPG
    PA130012.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Just would like to report that I have purchased this blade and tried cutting 6 mm thick 1018 steel plates without any apparent problems. The saw is a corded 7 inch wood cutter, 1500 Watt , 5300 rpm. Not sure how it will do in the long run though.

View attachment 462448
I used that blade in my cordless (wood) saw to cut steel roof panels. It worked great but left me looking like I had chicken pox from all the little burns on my front half.

Evolution has an exclusive on their Japanese metal cutting blades. But I imagine Milwaukee has done their homework, and has all the resources to meet or exceed Evolution's rep. I have the flagship chops aw from Evo, but if I were in the market for a handheld corded power tool like an 8", it wouldn't be a tough call for who to look at first- It's hard to look past Millwaukee when it comes to power tools!
My 46 year old Milwaukee shop vac still sucks and my even older Milwaukee hammer drill still hammers and my almost as old Milwaukee sawzall still saws!!
They are all corded tools though.

I noticed Evolution sells a "multi material" 7-1/4" circular saw for around $50. It runs at the much slower speed of their metal cutting saws or about 1/2 the speed of a typical circular saw. Not sure what the difference is between their blue metal cutting saw and orange multi-material saw besides being about 1/3 the price, but it might be a decent inexpensive alternative and probably give longer blade life vs running and possibly ruining a wood cutting circular saw.

I noticed Evolution sells a "multi material" 7-1/4" circular saw for around $50. It runs at the much slower speed of their metal cutting saws or about 1/2 the speed of a typical circular saw. Not sure what the difference is between their blue metal cutting saw and orange multi-material saw besides being about 1/3 the price, but it might be a decent inexpensive alternative and probably give longer blade life vs running and possibly ruining a wood cutting circular saw.
I am aware of this speed thing so I picked the smallest blade available. Mine is a 7 inch saw but I used a 5 3/8 blade for cutting steel. The smaller the blade diameter, the lower the speed of the teeth hitting the material hence better I hope.

I used a Makita cordless 18v saw to cut square tube and expanded metal sheets from the whole sales to fit in my crv. It seems slower rpm than my other saws but the light weight makes it hard to control.

Just tried cutting a 16 mm thick 1018 steel bar with the blade above. 4 passes taken. The work piece is kind of hot when finished but still can be held by hand so it's not exactly cold cut. Again, no problems seen. I am happy with the blade so far.
IMHO it is unnecessary to make multiple passes for cutting that bar. Just cut go and steady. I've cut 1"(25mm) round bar with the handheld saw and 2 ¼" (57mm) round bar on the chop saw, with carbide blades.

Back