Cutting steel with circular saws

compact8

Registered
Registered
After watching a few youtube videos I came to the understanding that circular saws designed for cutting steel have lower rpm ( ~3500 compared with 4000 ~ 5000 for wood-cutting saws ) and that some of them ( e.g. Hilti ) have safety features such as braking to minimize the harzard when kick-back occurs. Other than these I do not see much other difference. I am wondering if the bad effects ( not sure what they are BTW ) of the higher rpm of wood-cutting saws can be reduced by using smaller steel-cutting blades. I have got a saw for wood. Have used it on aluminum with blades designed for the job and the result is good. May be it's too greedy but I really would like to use it for cutting steel also. Can you guys share some experience / thoughts ?

I use a Milwaukee steel cutting circular saw, and it's great. I wouldn't be without it. Best way I know to slice up plate - leaves a semi-finished edge and easier to make a straight cut than on a bandsaw (and not particularly size limited). I've cut 1/2" steel plate with mine.

One big (imo) difference between the 'real' steel cutters and wood-cutting circular saws is the chip catcher. It is *not* fun to cut metal with a wood saw. It can work, but you'll be pelted with hot chips. Don't get me wrong - you still want safety glasses whatever you use, but I don't feel the need to put on a full suit of armor with the steel cutter.

GsT

I use a Milwaukee steel cutting circular saw, and it's great. I wouldn't be without it. Best way I know to slice up plate - leaves a semi-finished edge and easier to make a straight cut than on a bandsaw (and not particularly size limited). I've cut 1/2" steel plate with mine.

One big (imo) difference between the 'real' steel cutters and wood-cutting circular saws is the chip catcher. It is *not* fun to cut metal with a wood saw. It can work, but you'll be pelted with hot chips. Don't get me wrong - you still want safety glasses whatever you use, but I don't feel the need to put on a full suit of armor with the steel cutter.

GsT
even with the chip catcher you will be cleaning up chips forever.. but its easier than setting up the torch or plasma

even with the chip catcher you will be cleaning up chips forever.. but its easier than setting up the torch or plasma
With the chip catcher it's actually not bad. The catcher does its job and catches most of the chips. The majority of the rest are deposited on the workpiece, or the floor under the workpiece. I'd say it's less messy than milling. Other saws may be better or worse, my experience is confined to this one. I'd say it's **way** less messy than torch or plasma - and there's no rough edge or HAZ to deal with.

GsT

I used an old Skil worm drive saw, with a special blade, to cut a machine cabinet in half once.
About 2' square, 3/16" steel, 4 sides - Wasn't much left of the blade afterward, but it did it.
Wear every bit of personal protection you have (including good ear muffs), and do it OUTSIDE !

I've since bought a cheap plasma cutter -
My conclusion is that one of those, a straight edge guide, and a bit of angle grinder clean up, is a more sane way to do this stuff.
YMMV

My experience echos was others have said. You can use a wood circular saw with a steel cutting blade in a pinch but neither the bade nor saw will last long. I also bought the Milwaukee steel cutting saw and I am very happy with it. I recently used it to cut up 2 @ 4'x8'x1/8" steel plates to make a fireplace enclosure, it worked great, I was able to get very accurate cuts + - .010" by using a strip of steel as an edge guide.
IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_4906.jpeg
IMG_4907.jpeg

Last edited:
Milwaukee vs Evolution? Is there any reason to choose one over the other in the 8" saws?

Evolution has an exclusive on their Japanese metal cutting blades. But I imagine Milwaukee has done their homework, and has all the resources to meet or exceed Evolution's rep. I have the flagship chops aw from Evo, but if I were in the market for a handheld corded power tool like an 8", it wouldn't be a tough call for who to look at first- It's hard to look past Millwaukee when it comes to power tools!

I have an evolution chop saw and a Milwaukee handheld (cordless, actually). The Milwaukee cuts faster and captures chips better. The Evo has a bigger blade. Both cut fine.

GsT

Back