Cutting internal grooves

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
Been quite a while since I dropped in here, life and other interests ya know...

Anyway, I want to make an adapter that will require an internal groove about .125 wide and .250 deep. Exact dimensions aren't critical as the lip on a rubber boot will snap into it.

I can't figure out what the tool is called. I expect it'd be similar to a boring bar but have something similar to a parting blade as the business end.

What should I be looking for? It'd be primarily used on a mini lathe.

He was asking what it was called and what it looked like, so I picked the first picture I found on Google that wasn’t insert tooling. Next time I will crop out the price‍

This is why learning to grind (even with minimal equipment) is such a valuable skill. That broken drill bit over there is a neck and a flat away from a boring bar, and that boring bar is an edge profile away from what you need to finish the job!

Well, "grooving tool" popped up exactly what I need. I was using things like "internal grooving tool" and kept getting internal threading tools.

Next problem is I'd REALLY like one for my mini-lathe and most I'm finding are 5/8 shank. Might grab a cheapie and see if I can chuck it up in my big lathe tho.

The price for a tool I'll use a couple of times is pretty breath-taking too. I'll take a shot at grinding something, I have a handful of HSS blanks I got from a horse-trading session.

Thanks for the help!

What depth inside the ID and ID diameter ?

ID of workpiece 55mm, ID of groove 60mm, beginning 5mm from end of workpiece.
You could look for a Manchester insert bar that takes grooving and threading inserts . They are " top notch " ! ( not to confuse you with Kennemetal ) :big grin: Or just grind one up to suit your needs . As stated above , boring bars that would do that job are simple to make and you'll have it for future uses .

Back