[How-To] Cutting aluminum plate

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have a 10" x 14" piece of 3/4" thick 6061 plate. I want to cut a 4" x 7" piece from it. It is too large for my bandsaw. I could mill it out but it seems there must be a quicker and easier way. I tried a Sawzall with a metal blade, but that did not go well. Any thoughts?

A radial arm saw with a non-ferrous blade would work, but hellishly noisy as mentioned above
Or, a large vertical bandsaw
-M

I use my vertical band saw, it'll take 13" wide stock, well, it'll cut and leave 13" stock.

Table saw/circular saw with wood blade works well. You want less teeth rather than more.
If you use circular saw you might want to clamp both the plate down and something to run the circular saw against to minimize chances of getting crooked and causing the blade to bind.
On both machines, go slow on your feed and listen/feel how the cut is going.

I've cut a lot of thick aluminum this way, it's really fast and efficient.
Only times I've had issue is when there's too much built in stress so the material clamps your blade, but this would be an issue no matter cutting method.

Last edited:
I have cut pieces from larger plate by using the 4 x 6 band saw in the vertical position. I can cut a 4" x 5" piece. If the piece is longer, I can cheat by tilting the plate at an angle to buy some extra distance. This would get me close to 7". If you are willing to cut a strip, you could cut from both sides on the 10" length which will give you a 4 x 10" piece and then you can cut the 4 x 7" piece out. I usually leave about 1/8" excess for cleanup on the mill.

I have cut 3/4" plate using my reciprocating saw but it is noisy and there is a heck of a lot of vibration.

Reactions: rwm
+1 on the vertical bandsaw. My 4x6 can be converted to a vertical. Maybe yours can too?

Another approach might be to use a small portable bandsaw. But it depends on how deep the throat is on it.

I just used my table saw with an aluminum cutting blade to make 2 cuts 36" long in 3/4" MIC 6 aluminum. Worked fine and the finished edge is smoother than my vertical bandsaw. I highly recommend a feather board. I have 2 feather boards; one on the table and one on the rip fence.

1635013007043.png
1635013177548.png
Robert

Back