Cutting a Pinion Gear

Ray C

Registered
Registered
So, here's how I'll make a gear. Haven't made too many and usually try to purchase them but, what the heck...

The gear is for a lathe attachment and needs to be driven off the rack gear under the ways. First I'll grind a HSS bit to fit the profile of the tooth. Trial and error at the grinder... It finally looks like it's fitting.

Grind Bit.JPG

Next is to make a test piece. I measured 10 teeth on the rack gear and it appears to be spacing of 0.250". Seems odd because this is an Asian lathe and I was expecting a metric number. Anyhow, the test piece is a flat piece of metal and the quill was dropped 1/4" and a couple teeth were cut. The feed is slow and you need to push a little in the X direction then run the Y direction to form the tooth.

Test Piece.JPG

...And here's a check. Close but I'll grind the bit a little more and get it to match perfectly. BTW: the very first tooth I cut has a sharp tooth because it's not a full tooth. It's the second tooth on the test piece that I'm paying attention to as it's the first fully formed tooth.

Tooth Check.JPG

OK... We'll do more later this evening maybe... We should start calling this "Saturday with Ray"... I need a break and the dog needs a walk.

Ray

Grind Bit.JPG Test Piece.JPG Tooth Check.JPG

Finally! What a pain in the butt... It came out OK but this is really tedious. I abandoned the original approach because I just didn't like all the banging on the spindle so, I ordered some 1/8" and 3/32" carbide endmills. The 3/32" were hoggers to cut the basic form then the pressure angle were cut with the smooth 1/8" endmill. 45 passes all total (15 tooth gear). That was so much fun, I get to make another twice the diameter.

The only good thing about it is my wife likes to keep the brass swarf for art projects...

Here's the setup and final product...

Setup2.JPGSetup1.JPGFinished.JPG

Ray

Finished.JPG Setup1.JPG Setup2.JPG

Odd, I thought I had posted a response to this thread. Or did you start a new one?

This is part of the turret project but, I made this a separate thread because I plan to describe how to calculate the angles for cutting this.

Ray

Odd, I thought I had posted a response to this thread. Or did you start a new one?

Tony, BTW: I don't recall you posting anything about gears... Let me know if you've got any words of wisdom to pass along.

Ray

Back