Cutters in top pocket. A cautionary tale

Lo-Fi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I met a chap once who worked as a submariner in the Royal Navy. During the course of idle chit-chat at the wedding we were attending, he recounted this cautionary (and amusing) tale of woe:

He was working under some nameless piece of auxiliary equipment while at sea. Naturally, being a sub, space is tight everywhere. Some wiring needed fixing right underneath, so he had a few tools tucked away in various pockets, including a pair of brand new side clippers in his top pocket. The clippers were, of course, handle down in the pocket. Laying on his back, he went to grab them to push them out of the pocket, inadvertently closing them around his nipple, which was cut clean off along with a large chunk of overalls. A lot of blood, one quick trip to the med bay, a few stitches, one less nipple later, and most of the crew stopping in to make fun, he apparently eventually saw the funny side!

Don't put clippers in pockets!

Could have been worse --- could have been ANY OTHER pocket..

MK

Years ago I was checking a running 30KW 600V generator I had to adjust a contactor way in the rear part of the transfer panel. I used a long 15" flat screwdriver. Once the adjustment was done I put the screwdriver in my back pocket, tip up, I later turned around to get some other tool, and Wham !the screwdriver contacted the 600v bus. That's the last time I put tools in my back pocket.

Back