Cutoff/parting Holder/blade

Below the centerline?
I thought that was not recommended.

Here is a picture of my parting tool. It always cuts, never jams.

Just hit the E-stop and start cutting. The only parting tool I have ever owned.

upload_2016-1-16_20-19-8.png

Parting is a tough task. I struggled with it for years - applying the suggestions shared above, and gradually worked it out. I guess, like nearly everything else in life, it gets easier with practice. I now find parting off a routine task.

Even still, I don't hesitate to grab a hacksaw, or cut the part off in the band saw and face it clean. It depends on the job at hand.

Are you using a T-blade? My PhaseII part-off blade holder did not have a relief cut for the T of the blade, so the blade leaned over (I cut a relief).
The past couple years, I usually use a carbide insert part off tool - it works great. It is held in a bolt on holder for the PhaseII CXA - drop it in, lock it - no issue.
I have set up a rear tool post (parting tool being upside down - lathe running in the normal direction). This also works very well (chips clear well on deep cuts) - but the conventional works so well that I rarely bother with the rear post.

Let us know how it works out.

That diameter I part at 360. 1" and under I part at 600 rpm. You may have been a little fast but I suspect the blade was main issue. Hollow grind the front to get a sharper edge and make sure it is dead center.
Dave

No one yet has mentioned part off feed speed.
The feed requires a constant pressure. Feed pressure, or lack of of is responsible in part for chatter. Another factor is more stick out that required as in just over 1/2 diameter of the part off.

The curl of the swarf is a real good indicator you are doing things right. It should come out like a C with a little curl one end.
I stick to a cutting speed of 1/3 of normal cut speed an use plenty of lube on a sharp tool.

Back