[How do I?] Cut Down A Drill Bushing

...any chance that 1/4" spacers could be used under the flange?
It does affect the headroom/tool height above the fixture, but could do in a pinch.

It probaly doesn't help but had to do some at work the other day. Cut me off with the wire EDM and they chamfered them on the cutter grinder. They came out nice.

...any chance that 1/4" spacers could be used under the flange?
It does affect the headroom/tool height above the fixture, but could do in a pinch.

Brino, I wish you would have posted that before I cut them off, that would have been a better solution and would have allowed more guide length. I didn't think of that one.

Here is what I did

First I built an expanding arbor to hold the bushing

Tapping the end with a 1/8 pipe tap

IMG_0067.jpg

Cutting the expansion slots on the band saw
IMG_0069.jpg

I couldn't find a 1/8 socket head pipe plug in my stash, to I grabbed the nearest 1/2 inch bolt and made one. I tapered the end a bit at about pipe thread taper, then threaded it with a 1/8 pipe die

IMG_0070.jpg

The completed ''pipe plug'' The crud in the threads is never seize, I didn't want any galling.
IMG_0071.jpg

I scribed a line in the lathe with a carbide bit just to give me a reference for the next operation.

IMG_0076.jpg

With the drill rotating I was able to make a nice cut with the cutoff wheel. Sorry there is no pictures of sparks flying, that takes two hands to hold the drill.
IMG_0077.jpg

I move over to the other side of the grinder just to knock off the sharp edges and clean things up a bit. I discovered that I had really good control of the part, so I just used this method to finish grind to length. Grind a bit, then measure, rinse/repeat.

IMG_0073.jpg

A quick deburr in the ID
IMG_0078.jpg

And the final product. These are +/- 0.002 on the length, well within tolerance.
IMG_0080.jpg

Last edited:
Back