Custom door pulls

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
Last summer I made some built in cherry bookshelves and cabinets for the living room and finally got started on the pulls. There isn't a lot of metalworking in this project but I thought someone might enjoy seeing them anyway. It's always better to design something yourself than settle for something boring and impersonal from Home Depot.

Our house is fairly contemporary so I thought something made of stainless and cheery would look good for pulls. After a few trial runs I settled on a 4.5" long piece of 3/8" stainless round mounted on two 1" high cherry pylons. The first step was to cut the stainless bars and face them to length. While they were chucked, I also turned a 1/16 radius on the ends.

007.JPG

Next I set up in the mill and drilled and tapped two blind 8-32NF holes, each of them 1” from the end of the bars.

029.JPG

The pylons were band sawed to size and squared up on the belt sander. Then using the mill I cut a 3/16” radius for the bars to sit in.

008.JPG

Next came a clearance hole through for the mounting screw.

009.JPG

I made a quick and dirty arbor out of a ¾” diameter piece of aluminum in the lathe and put an 8-32NF hole in the end to mount the cherry blocks for tapering. An 8-32NF flat head screw was used to mount the blocks to the arbor.

010.JPG

To turn the taper, the compound was set to 5 degrees and a sharp round nose tool was set well above center to make a shearing cut on the wood.

011.JPG
012.JPG

Then I cut a ten degree straight taper on each side using the belt sander. Belt sanding small parts like this is a great way to keep your nails short. ;)

013.JPG

Here are some of the finished parts. I only made a few to start to make sure they are acceptable to the boss.

014.JPG

I little Tung oil really brings out the grain and color in the cherry.

016.JPG

Here they are mounted to the cabinet doors.

002.JPG

001.JPG

007.JPG

029.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

007.JPG

029.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them. They have personality that you can't buy, as you said, from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Thanks guys.

Best of all, they made the wife happy. Not all of my hobbies are as successful in that regard.

Tom

Tom

I think most hobbits who are married have a marriage based on the point system! With the way your project turned out, you should be in the positive for sure. I think you deserve a new tool!!!! very nice job!

David

Thanks guys.

Maybe I should give the tool thing a shot David, I've been thinking about that CNC mill...

Tom

Thanks guys.

Maybe I should give the tool thing a shot David, I've been thinking about that CNC mill...

Tom

Better make some knobs for the cabinets before trying that one.... :biggrin:

-Ron

Back