creative machine funding ideas

Hmm... I need to take some entrepreneurial inspiration from this thread.

That's great news. About four times as much as you started with last week!

If you have any other skills, put them to use to make some extra money. I am a mechanic, so I use that to my advantage. There is a local junkyard called pull a part. They have really cheap prices on parts. You have to pull them yourself, but thats half the fun. I got like 3 or 4 transmissions from there, rebuilt them, and then sold them on craigslist for a profit. Also, if you know auto parts, then there are parts you can buy there cheap, then turn right around and double your money online (forums or ebay) just cause it saves people from having to go to the JY and get it themselfs. They like being able to click a mouse and buy the part they need.
I am a small engine tech also, so I have bought several used lawn mowers from people who couldnt afford to, or didnt want to fix them. I buy them, fix them, and sell them.

Took me about 2-3 years of this but I saved up enough to buy my smithy with cash.

let chalk up another $32 to my slowly growing machine fund ( $150.65) , a fella contacted me threw my ebay lisyng and asked me to make a case forming die for the 577-.450 , a nice simple job , pretty much just a 7/16 hole with a bit of a chamfer in a threaded rod .

IMG_20150112_154704.jpg

IMG_20150112_154704.jpg

Have you considered the Gingery mill? All of his machines are designed to be a low cost way of building your own machine shop. Its no bridgeport but it's surprising what can be made on it. I'm sure others on here could suggest improvements to the design if you did choose to go that route (power feed, etc). And down the road you could maybe sell it if it didn't meet your needs. If I wouldn't have found the old k&t I probably would've went that route, at least til I could afford a better one. Somethin to think about.

Great work STEVE!!!!!
i knew you could do it!!!!
:rubbinghands:

I absolutely love it! It's amazing what a few ideas and a pep talk can do.:))

thank you fella's .... i can envision a milling machine in my shop already .

i have an auction for a die ending tonight lets hope that goes well , and i think i am going to go ahead and list another neck size fie , along with one of the case forming dies i made , might speed things up a bit if there is a few guys out there who might be interested in one of them as well .

i also had an idea inspired by my new vetterli rifle , a nice simple drill guide/drill bushing for those who want to convert their rifles to centerfire and do not have a lathe to make it easy , it'll be cheap at around $10 and wont take but 15 minutes to make .

a few more ideas and it wont be long untill i have to open up my own store :panic:

I'm starting to think we might have a small business in its infancy! Any chance you'd link us to your auction? I don't do reloading or know anyone who does, but I'd be interested to see what you come up with in the future!

lets not start talking small business , thats just crazy talk :whiteflag:

but really , once i fund my mill and basic tooling i dont look to do much of any for profit projects .
no need to turn a hobby into work . i do have a thousand projects of my own in mind , i think with care and enough time i can wear my little g0602 and a mill out with my own projects .

i dont have a problem linking my ebay listings so you can check them out if you like , but i would like to get permission from a mod before i do.
i would not want any complaints that i was advertising my wares on the site for free .

Back