Crappy BP Clones?

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
All of the BP clones and similar vertical mills that I've used, seen or heard about were at least decent quality. Does anyone know of a brand (past or present) that fits the description of "import junk"? Not asking about parts availability, just quality of manufacture.

Never had a BP. Just a Jet, made in Taiwan. It seems fine for my use. 2004 machine that I've had for 10 years. Replaced the VS belt.

I have run a few BP's in my career and clones, can't kick the clones I've run nor the ACRA clone that I own now.........

Ganesh. There's a Ganesh dealer down the street from me, used say Ganesh on the building but has since changed to Expand Machinery. The local college when I attended had a few BPs, a Sharp, & a Ganesh. I never got to use the Ganesh cause it was always broken down. One thing would get fixed, something else would break. The toolroom guy hated that thing, said it was one of the worst machines they've ever had.

To be fair, not sure if it was just inexperienced students that were breaking it but none of the other mills (vertical & horizontal) were ever out of commision while I was there. Most of the BPs were borderline clapped out too. And again I never got to use that Ganesh & never took a close look at it either. It could have just been a lemon also if there's such a thing for machinery. The Sharp was really nice, new students didn't get to use it so I would imagine new students didn't get to use the Ganesh either cause it was a newer machine.

Not your question, but supportive of that, my "Rutland" BP clone has been nothing other than completely reliable, and as far as I can tell, 100% compatible with the real thing.

I had a Clausing Kondia down at a former employer years back that I thought wasn't a quality piece . I prefer the real Bridgeports or a nice Lagun FTV2 for the go to mills . I have an Enco step pulley next to me in here at work now and like it with its 2 speed motor . 30 feet away sit Bridgeports , Laguns and Alliants . I would love to get my hands on another FTV2 one day , I have one in mind if it ever happens . :)

I had a 6" x 26" Enco bench knee mill for over 25 years. For what it was, I never had any problems with it. The early Enco mills were made in Taiwan - not sure about today's models. They all look the same, so it's tough to tell.

Sold it a few weeks ago for more than I paid for it new. Of course, that's inflation.

Attachments

• Enco 6x26 mill.JPG
    Enco 6x26 mill.JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 26
I've had my BP series 1VS now for probably 15yrs, and it's always done everything I've asked of it. Other than the big Gorton mill, it's the only one I have any real experience on, so can't really comment on the clones. Did some work on the lead screws, and nuts, to tighten things up, and replaced the oiler lines and and added two more ports. Have never had to touch the head. Mike

Back