Crank

There are few operations that I find more annoying then turning a taper with the compound. When forced to do so and the tail stock is not used I run the spindle in reverse placing the dial on the operator side and turn from the back which is far more pleasant then reaching over the machine, a boring bar works well for this.

If it hadn't been saved, think of all the fiddley work you'd have to have done to turn that taper.

And my wife says I save too much stuff, I need to show her this so she changes her mind! I think they call that upcycling now! :encourage:

Somebody already said, It's not junk, it's inventory.

Some good ideas here. I have had the same issue turning tapers with the compound. My lathe, a PM1340 has two fixed handles on the compound. I sometimes end up losing a smooth flow when changing grips on the fixed handle. I just recently converted on of the fixed handles to one that revolves like the ones in the carriage and cross-slide and it seems to have helped. With the revolving handle I can take a final light finishing pass and maintain a decent flow. Heavier cuts are still more challenging if you are worried about surface finish.

There are few operations that I find more annoying then turning a taper with the compound. When forced to do so and the tail stock is not used I run the spindle in reverse placing the dial on the operator side and turn from the back which is far more pleasant then reaching over the machine, a boring bar works well for this.

As do I, often mounting the tool perpendicular to the travel of the compound

Back