Craigslist score $200 3 in 1 combination mill/lathe/drill

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I was trolling on CL the other day looking for stuff,
fortunately, i came across a 3 in 1 combination mill/drill/lathe for sale. the add said first $200 gets it.
from the picture it looked a little dirty but otherwise complete, less the steady rest.
I emailed him my number, but he didn't post a number to reach him.
About 3 or 4 hours later he gave me a call and said he still had it, and i could come and take a peep at her.
i bolted out the door and made the hour trip to get it.
Upon arrival the previous owner was a real nice guy,
He claimed he hasn't used the mill/drill part since it was new, rather only used the lathe chuck mostly and the tailstock for a few drilling operations. it appeared lightly oxidized on the toolholder and surprisingly enough the ways and dovetails are clean on first inspection.
he fired the unit up and operated all the functions of the lathe, it sounded PDG for $200, so we struck the deal and loaded er' up.
it has a lot of gravity to it for an import mill at somewhere around 350#lbs or so.
i could only guess it to be an 80's creation but i could be wrong about that. the name plate is missing but after a little research i saw a couple that were very similar, the central machinery LH007
I just started to wipe her down and clean the crud off of her. the fun just begins...

May i introduce you all to Katie, my first 3 in 1 machine!
thanks for reading, feel free to post experiences or thoughts!!

cm 3 in 1.jpg

cm 3 in 1.jpg

a very good find--I would have bought it without even seeing it at that price---looks good---Dave

I'll add the obligatory "You suck" nice find, I have dibbs on the next one...

Funny there is that much oxidation. Even here where I can see the bay/ocean from my window nothing rusts even during winter unless it actually gets wet, and even then it doesn't do much once it dries. I bet it cleans up easily and looks way better underneath. Evaporust is great stuff should you need a bit more than a polish. Good score!
-Ryan

Shoot steel rust starts rusting here just as soon as you think about removing the paint. I have to keep camphor in my school box to keep my projects from rusting over night

nice find, that's a great price. Unless you have a mill already, I've seen a few people take the heads off these 3in1 machines and mount them to a column and table from a mini or bench mill. I think you can even buy most of the stuff needed new from Little Machine Shop. That way you get 2 machines for only a little bit more :)

Neat find Mike! If I had one of those I could cross drill and mill key slots without taking the part out of the lathe, right? Too cool. Can it be set up for indexing? I always wanted to play with one. Let us Know as you go. I know you'll clean her up nice.

I have never thought of buying one of those 3 in one, but for $200, I can assure you I will not think it either; I am just going to get it! Congratulations on your treasure find! Ahhh! Those are the cool days...

BTW, I was going to stay away from the CL, but now you just made me look ;-)

Back