Craftsman Drill Sharpening Attachment!

seagiant

Registered
Registered
Hi,
While looking and trying to learn about T&C Grinders, I came across one of the old vintage Craftsman drill sharpeners we have all seen.

I have one of the original square Drill Doctors that work up to 3/4", and it works pretty well, but sometimes, I do not get exactly what I want?

Thought the Craftsman might give me more tweeking power with some bits and I have plenty of old bench grinders collected over the years.

Just wondering if anyone has used these in there shop and what kind of set up you used??????????????

Attachments

• drill jig1.jpg
    drill jig1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 128
  • drill jig 6.jpg
    drill jig 6.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DCP_6628.jpg
    DCP_6628.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 119
I have used one and liked it. The results were great after figuring it out.
The only problem I have is that I can't bolt the base to the bench as I only have one bench grinder and that base gets in the way of the regular tool rest. Therefore I do not use it as often as I'd like; I'm too lazy to keep changing out bases. One day I'll get a grinder dedicated to each rest.

There was a great video on youtube comparing those two types, and he liked the simple one better.
I cannot find that video now, but here's a couple others:

Some people will tell you that you will kill yourself and your entire family the instant you grind anything on the side of a grinding wheel.
I think that's nonsense. If a grinding wheel is is such poor shape that it cannot take a the tiny side pressure from sharpening a drill bit, then that wheel should not be used at all!

-brino

Last edited:
Hi,
Well.Thank you very much!

I guess, I'm a freak for old bench grinders...

I have 3 or 4 so a grinder on a dedicated base with the attachment is no problem!

I picked up one and used it a few times , some drills looked and worked very good , others not good at all . Watching the first video I wonder if adjusting the base would have corrected the problem. Looking forward to trying it again. Also I like the idea of some kind of screw adjustment for the base to “ fine tune “ it

I picked up one and used it a few times , some drills looked and worked very good , others not good at all . Watching the first video I wonder if adjusting the base would have corrected the problem. Looking forward to trying it again. Also I like the idea of some kind of screw adjustment for the base to “ fine tune “ it
Hi,
Yes, from my research, the base has to be adjusted correctly and is why it has the slot.

The people that are making and using an advance mechanism, still have to start the base at the right spot to start and then advance from there for the feed.

It seems different dia. of bits reguire a different starting point.

This will effect the angle of the main relief, that is behind the cutting edge.

A LOT of this info did not come to me on the Internet but in a book in my Library by Harald Hall, "Tool and Cutter Sharpening" workshop Practice series No. 38.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20191207_142934.jpg
    20191207_142934.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 199
Some people will tell you that you will kill yourself and your entire family the instant you grind anything on the side of a grinding wheel.
So this actually happened to my neighbors late sister in laws nephew. While grinding on the side of the wheel, his family pulled into the garage in a convertible. The heat treat oven was running, and had a gas leak. All the sudden the wheel exploded, causing the baby to drop its cigarette, instantly igniting the entire family. True story.

Hi,
Yes, from my research, the base has to be adjusted correctly and is why it has the slot.

The people that are making and using an advance mechanism, still have to start the base at the right spot to start and then advance from there for the feed.

It seems different dia. of bits reguire a different starting point.

This will effect the angle of the main relief, that is behind the cutting edge.

A LOT of this info did not come to me on the Internet but in a book in my Library by Harald Hall, "Tool and Cutter Sharpening" workshop Practice series No. 38.
Drills often have different cutting edge angles due to differences in both the advance angle of the spiral groove of the flutes and the angle of the cutting edge from the side of the drill shank. Drill grinders need to have the settings changed to accommodate different drill geometries. One setup does not fit all drills. When I sharpen a group of drills, I sort them by grind angle and flute angle. You can then do all of the ones with the same geometry, regardless of diameter, without changing the setup. Different geometry needs a different setup! It is also possible to change the geometry of a drill bit for a new use, but that is beyond what I am talking about here, and is not trivial to get right.

Hi,
I am a retired Marine Engineer.

A lot of times, I would have to do a job, requiring drilling old tough deck plate, and...

If I could not sharpen the drill bits I needed for the job, (every thing I needed dull, of course) I would of been up the creek!

I however, made and used a shop made, drill bit gauge, so I was sure of the angle, and length of the cutting lip. (Having to sharpen by hand!)

Never had a problem, but all the bits were 118 degrees which admittedly, was not optimal?

Last edited:
Back