Craftsman 6" 101.21400

TechNova

Registered
Registered
I sometimes have to hold the feed level to keep the carriage moving.
Is this a sign of worn half nut or is there adjustment?

You mean the half nut lever? Yes it probably means wear if it won't stay engaged
The leadscrew could have some wear also- take a close look at the threads compared to a less-used area like down near the tailstock

Might try cleaning the lead screw as well. When I first got mine, it had decades of crud in the threads and took some serious soaking and digging to clean out the threads.

Remove the half nuts and clean the threads as well. I had replaced mine years ago, assuming that they were worn but the old ones were just full of gunk.

Lead screw is in good shape and clean. I did not take it apart to clean half nut, will do that next.

There was, AFAIK, no 101.214 made. There was a 101.21400 which replaced the 101.07301 and is the same as the Atlas 618 except for badges and nameplate. Confirm that it is a 21400 and I will edit the thread title,

TechNova,

Can you provide a photo of the machine's nameplate? Should be on the right end of the bed.

Also, there should be a spring-loaded ball in a horizontal hole at right angles to the bed and lead screw. If you have to hold down on the lever to keep the half nuts engaged, that is usually a sign that the hole is packed with shavings or that the spring is too short, too weak or missing or that the screw is loose, too short or missing. Or that the half nuts are badly worn. Or some combination thereof.

There was, AFAIK, no 101.214 made. There was a 101.21400 which replaced the 101.07301 and is the same as the Atlas 618 except for badges and nameplate. Confirm that it is a 21400 and I will edit the thread title,
it is 101.21400

looks like there is not much left of half nuts when I look in there without taking it apart.
It will be a few weeks before I will get to taking it apart.

OK on the model number being 101.21400. I edited the thread title. That means that except for nameplate and badges. it is the same as the final version of the Atlas 618. Which increases your chances of finding parts if you need them. Assuming that they are still available, and if they are in fact worn out, go with the Zamack originals rather than the bronze after-market ones. If properly lubricated (which they probably weren't), they should out last the bronze ones.

it is 101.21400

looks like there is not much left of half nuts when I look in there without taking it apart.
It will be a few weeks before I will get to taking it apart.
I just replaced my half nuts for my 618 from here, They weren't 80 bucks though when I got mine

Ron

Back