Craftsman 3 Jaw Chuck Problem....

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
I've had my 12" Craftsman for a few months now and have regularly switched the jaws around from inside to outside positions. I've cleaned it and oiled it and all was well until last weekend. I took the jaws out to turn them and when I re-installed them the would not turn in and tighten at all. There are some broken spots on the teeth, but they have always worked before. I cleaned, checked carefully, oil and tried repeatedly to no avail. They are in the correct 1,2,3 positions. The Chuck is marked The Cushman Chuck Company, Hartford, CT. USA and it 5" in diameter. Can I replace the jaws? Should I look for another Chuck? If so, what do you guys recommend? And I have no idea why the pic is upside down......

image.jpeg

Yes, all are tight. The odd thing is nothing I've done and nothing I can see on the Chuck or jaws has changed.....but, they will only function one way, not the other.

Did you get them in the correct sequence?

Daryl
MN

As Daryl has said. Correct sequence is important when re-installing the jaws. Jaw #1 needs to go in first as you rotate the scroll, then #2, etc. Maybe you already know about that, if so, I apologize. Don't want to insult you. Also check that there isn't some swarf in the scroll that could cause the jaws to bind.

Ted

I am not insulted at all, I appreciate the help. I did confirm sequence and carefully cleaned, re-cleaned and checked, but no go. It is odd as they worked fine before. Some mystery force perhaps? I mean, physics is physics right? Something has to be preventing it, but my eyes don't see it. I will try again and report back.

Any chance you could post another picture of the chuck with a straight on shot from the front of the chuck ?

Sure, but it will be tomorrow. I'm too lazy to get dressed and go back out into the shop tonight. I'll pull the jaws and get pics of them as well.

Good, I'll check back tomorrow. Take one picture before you remove the jaws.

Take it “all” apart, clean it good, check for problems, give it a fresh grease job, put it back together, then get back to us.

Back