Craftsman 12" Lathe Will Not Start Without "Help"

Bingo! We have a winner. Issue resolved. Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to respond. Had some other matters that needed attention. I would like to thank everyone who responded with suggestions. Especially markba663csi & whitmore who mentioned what turned out to be the actual problem. I have attached a diagram of how I had wired the drum switch (RS-1A-SH Reversing Drum Control), since that was the location of the problem. I took the following path to resolve:

1) Slept on it. This always seems to be a help to me.
In considering the problem I thought back to the successful bench testing I did with the motor and the switch. When switched on in either direction, the instant torque was strong and wanted to cause the motor to fly off the bench. This seems contrary to a week condenser/capacitor.
2) Pulled of the drum switch cover. Separated the extra length of each wire free of the switch.
The area inside the switch is minimal & the wiring was compressed under the cover. I had left extra wiring length on purpose in case I needed more room to work on the wiring. In doing this I discovered that one of the wires was loose under the nut holding it to the switch.

This instantly fixed the issue! Plugged in and turned the lathe on. Immediate start and response in the forward position. Great! In reverse it still hummed & required "help" to start in that direction.

A second look at the switch revealed that my desire to identify each wire for future reference had caused problems. I had labeled each wire. Those labels hung off of the wires. One of the labels had worked its way into the switch & under a connection point in the drum switch. Causing poor to no electrical contact through the wire that allowed for reverse operation. Reverse now functions as well as forward.

After shortening the length of each wire & re-soldering each connection so that each is just long enough to connect and fit under the cover, and also losing all labels attached to the wires, all is well.

PS: I did place one label on the inside of the drum switch cover, stating that a diagram explaining what each wire in the drums switch was, is attached to the underside of the lathe bench top.

Thanks again to everyone. The easiest solution is often the correct one......................

Attachments

• RS-1A-SH Reversing Drum Control Wiring.jpg
    RS-1A-SH Reversing Drum Control Wiring.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 13
Glad you found it, but just wanted to say your motor would still have been strong if you had a bad starter cap, it is only for starting the motor... Good job :)

Glad it worked out!
As far as replacements go, I've found that Old motors have LOTS more power than their newer counterparts. For some reason Old HP maybe not the same as New HP. Maybe 746 watts just ain't what it used to be!

Back