Craftsman 109/atlas 618

For anyone interested in these lathes, there is a site called lathesuk it covers most of the lathes you can think of and then some. The AA109 and the atlas/craftsman lathes are listed form beginning to end. Defiantly a site worth looking at all the different lathes and milling machines. :encourage:

I know the 109 is not an Atlas.

I have an Atlas 618 that I am rebuilding. It was in very rough shape cosmetically, had no extra gears or tooling, but was cheap and had no major functional issues. A 109 just popped up in my area for $130 OBO - it comes with what looks like could be a complete set of change gears, four-jaw chuck, and tailstock drill chuck. Are any of these items interchangeable with my 618 with or without modification?

I'll try to grab it for $100 regardless. It looks like it's in decent shape, and I figured even if the above are not useable on my 618, I could do a quick refurb and resell for a profit. My first (personal) lathe was a 109, about 8-9 years - I rebuilt it but barely had a chance to try it before I sold it.

Sorry, I could look up the specs myself but am at work right now (nights) and will be sleeping as soon as I get home - hoping to have an e-mail from the seller and go pick it up when I wake up this afternoon.

Thanks
. The earliest AA series - 702/703 - ( narrow bed) have a
1/2 - 24 spindle. Later wider bed, 1/2- 20 .........BLJHB
Please,buy the
109 , check it out. If it's basically good,clean it up and sell it; with gears, etc it is valuable, $300. Set of gears, $85. If junky (bad bed, etc.) buy cheap, sell good
parts, keep gears. ......BLJHB.

Jester,

Please let us know what if any difference there is between the AA gears and the Atlas gears. The only thing that ever seems to get posted on this subject is that someone will write that he "thinks" that the gears are interchangeable.

The drill chuck will have to have the arbor changed as if it fits the AA, it is #0 MT. As Rich wrote, the 618 tailstock taper is #1 MT. There probably isn't any practical or economical way to use the 4-jaw chuck on the 618 if it fits the AA.

If the AA is a Dunlap without lead screw it is a 109.0702. If it has a lead screw (since it has change gears, it must), it is a 109.0703. In either case, the spindle nose threads are 1/2"-24.
Otherwise, it is either a 109.20630 or 109.21270 and has 1/2"-20 threads.
The Atlas 618 has 1"-10 nose threads. The only Atlas built metal lathe with 1"-8 threads is the 101.07301. The 101.07300 (only built for one year 1938), had 3/4"-16 threads.
Hello, I just picked up a 109 0702, with lead screw, but no thread gear set!

Back