Craftsman 101.21400

I'm not going to be able to anchor the Craftsman 101 6in lathe to the floor. It is going to need to be on casters so I can move it around the shop as I don't have dedicated space. I can bolt the lathe and pulley arm to the steel plate. The steel plate is about 1/4 in thick and is reinforced around the edges with square tubing. It is all steel, very rigid and about 80 lbs. When I bolt the lathe and pulley arm to the steel plate how do level the lathe to the steel plate that I will be bolting it onto?

I would prove the lathe level square by turning a test bar (or two-collar test, or "Rollie's dad's method"). If you can turn the same diameter at opposite ends of the bed without advancing the cross feed (both features cut with the tool in the same position, just move the carriage) then you are true. If there is any twist in the bed, you won't be able to make that test work. Shim the corners until the test passes.

I seriously doubt you will have issues with the lathe bolted to a frame-reinforced base plate once you verify square. I also doubt that moving the base on casters will give you much grief with that kind of support. Regardless, you will need to test it initially and check it periodically. Do a search on the three terms I gave you in line 1 above, and you will be well-armed to tackle the task.

Well, if the plate that the lathe legs are bolt to is stiff enough to not bend any as you move the whole contraption around, then set it somewhere that it can stay for the duration of the setup and go ahead with the precision level operation.
when you are finished, move it to the storage location and make certain that the four corners are on the flower. to reduce the bendng forces on the top plate. And otherwise don't worry about it. It is only necessary that the bed be as it was when it came off of the mill at the factory, not that it still be level.

While leveling a lathe is essential to making precision parts you may find it works satisfactory just like it is.

I’m no pro, but from my understanding this makes more difference the longer your parts are. I’ve made plenty of parts without even trying to level my lathe that are plenty good enough for my purposes. Not precision, but close enough for my needs.

If you’re just starting out and plan to work mostly close to the chuck it might not matter at first. As you gain experience and do bigger projects you will have plenty of time to adjust and perfect your setup.

This hobby has a whole range of folks, from those who seek perfection to others who just want to make round stuff smaller. Let your projects guide you and chances are it’ll work out fine.

John

While leveling a lathe is essential to making precision parts you may find it works satisfactory just like it is.

I’m no pro, but from my understanding this makes more difference the longer your parts are. I’ve made plenty of parts without even trying to level my lathe that are plenty good enough for my purposes. Not precision, but close enough for my needs.

If you’re just starting out and plan to work mostly close to the chuck it might not matter at first. As you gain experience and do bigger projects you will have plenty of time to adjust and perfect your setup.

This hobby has a whole range of folks, from those who seek perfection to others who just want to make round stuff smaller. Let your projects guide you and chances are it’ll work out fine.

John
My highest and most essential priority is to operate the lathe safely. I'm a newbie and it is difficult to know what I do not know yet. Wear no loose clothing. No long sleeves and tuck in shirt. I don't have long hair so that is not a problem. I'm going to install a chip guard I'll make from some poly carbonate. The lathe has a forward and reverse switch. I'm going to install an emergency power cutoff switch that will be easy to activate. I'm always going to keep my hands away when the work and chuck are moving. I see some people use a hand file on the work piece when moving.... something I'm not going to do.... especially as a newbie.

Forward and reversing switch ? When using your screw on chuck , never use reverse . mrpete222 just did a Youtube video where he talks about how he reversed his Atlas and spun the chuck off . He made a lock out on the drum switch so that would not happed by accident .
Mark .

Forward and reversing switch ? When using your screw on chuck , never use reverse . mrpete222 just did a Youtube video where he talks about how he reversed his Atlas and spun the chuck off . He made a lock out on the drum switch so that would not happed by accident .
Mark .
The switch looks like this. Why does the lathe have a forward and reverse?

1681516012739.png

To answer your question , a lathe would have reverse for a few different reasons but mainly for power taping . Another is threading away from a shoulder ( you turn the cutting tool upside down ) .
Reversing a screw on chuck lathe is OK if you are using a collet .
The lock out starts a 1:15
What Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe do you have ?
Mark .
<iframe width="900" height="506" src="
" title="THIS &amp; THAT #75 tubalcain mrpete" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
It could be that your setup is just using a ‘common’ switch for ‘forward’ and is not using the reverse at all.
Is it a single phase motor? 110v?

Have you powered it up yet? Does the reverse actually work?

To answer your question , a lathe would have reverse for a few different reasons but mainly for power taping . Another is threading away from a shoulder ( you turn the cutting tool upside down ) .
Reversing a screw on chuck lathe is OK if you are using a collet .
The lock out starts a 1:15
What Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe do you have ?
Mark .
<iframe width="900" height="506" src="
" title="THIS &amp; THAT #75 tubalcain mrpete" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I have two Craftsman 101 6in lathes. One has the Timiken bearings and the other one does not have the bearings. I need to evalute which one is in the best condition. The chucks are not interchangeable. I have more chucks for the bearing version. I also have the milling attachment. I would like to set it up for light milling work also.

Back