Craftsman 101.07403 Bull Gear Specs

RandyFlagg

Registered
Registered
Looks for the specs on this. Part sheet says its 10-241 back gear. Chuck is stuck and I am trying to 3D print the spindle lock.

Thanks for your help.

I can't help with the bull gear drawing, but Mr. Pete has a YouTube video on removing stuck chucks.

And here is a 3D printed spindle lock:

But I'm skeptical - if the chuck is badly stuck I suspect the plastic spindle lock would just shear or strip.

The shear strength of the lock would be approximately 13 times the rated shear strength of the material that the lock was made from. My guess is that you would probably shear or otherwise break the gear at the Woodruff key slot first.

I have watched Mr. Pete's videos but they don't really give a lot of detail on how to get a stuck chuck off.

I have also seen the ebay 3d printed parts but I prefer to print and design my own. That is part of the challenge.

I am out of ideas besides heating the chucking. I have soaked it in PB Blaster dozens of times and I have the back gears engaged but obviously I don't want to crank on it. Hoping I can hit it a little harder if I have the spindle lock.

I think Mr. Pete's idea of putting hex stock (or square if it is a 4-jaw) in the chuck and using an impact wrench is what I would try. Just be sure the back gear is disengaged so the spindle can rotate freely. This should eliminate the risk of damage to the bull gear. By the way, I am only about 10 miles from Doylestown. My lathe is very similar to yours.

Considering all of the pro's and con's, I have concluded that the bull gear locker is the best way available with which to lock the spindle on an Atlas 10" or 12" lathe against rotation in one direction.

Randy, if you are successful with the 3D printed stop, I would like to purchase one from you.

I made an Aluminum bull gear grabber that looked remarkably like that! Worked a treat!
I bet 3d printer will work well!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back