Cracked Drill Press Pulley Repair

My BP clone's step pulley has a similar shark bite, though a little smaller. It was like that when I bought it, and it hasn't caused any wear on the belt. I haven't noticed any issues with it. I'd ensure there aren't any burrs to damage the belt and run it. It looks like there's plenty of meat there to keep the belt in the groove.

I'm looking for a motor pulley for a Delta 17" drill press (Part DP-645). I found this on ebay
View attachment 454182

You can see it has a chunk broken out of the rim on the top step. Do you think this would be a serious operational issue - in other words, would the belt function correctly with that missing piece? Also - is this repairable?
Looks like the ebay link doesn't work - maybe not allowed here? Picture instead
Thanks
Rick
wish I had your problem LOL just find something round and hard maybe even a CD disc and attach it to the outter face of the pulley...temporary fix for now

I do not think you will ever notice that pulley has a piece missing. There is not much side load on sheave belts beyond what they do when loaded to extremes like big-small. The V-belt profile is guided into the groove by the flange, but only to a point, the lower half of the V is still fully supported as it appears. If slip was bound to happen, it would probably happen at the missing piece first- but are you pushing the envelope of friction in the smallest sheave? Probably not.

There appears to be more than one good way to fix it, but I'm not sure it's a problem that needs fixing unless you're already on your way to slipsville or have already seen it ruin a belt.

If so, you should ask for a big discount.

or buy one that’s not damaged.

don’t think it’ll cause problems but new step pulleys are available in perfect condition.

john

If the price is right and you need one, it doesn't look like it will be a problem..

But, it sounds like Dave has one that will work and it is not busted.

The goal, of course, is to get a pulley that is not broken and to not pay more for it than I did for the entire machine. I sure am hoping that Dave's pulley will work but I"m told minor differences in pulley size may result in belt adjustment problems as the belt moves through the various steps. Hopefully hbecan get the pulley off the/ motor and we get more info.

Rick

I do not think you will ever notice that pulley has a piece missing. There is not much side load on sheave belts beyond what they do when loaded to extremes like big-small. The V-belt profile is guided into the groove by the flange, but only to a point, the lower half of the V is still fully supported as it appears. If slip was bound to happen, it would probably happen at the missing piece first- but are you pushing the envelope of friction in the smallest sheave? Probably not.

There appears to be more than one good way to fix it, but I'm not sure it's a problem that needs fixing unless you're already on your way to slipsville or have already seen it ruin a belt.
Curious regarding the potential fixes - can you expand on that a bit?
Thanks
Rick

Curious regarding the potential fixes - can you expand on that a bit?
Thanks
Rick
Like stacking a "disc" as it was called above on the broken sheave. Or doing a buildup with whatever means available (aluminum braze, traditional braze, hard solder, or similar hot methods) and turning the repair smooth. JB weld can do amazing things on parts that only see moderate forces at the repair joint, so that combined with the disc washer would make a visibly appealing repair.

It looks steel, so that opens up more hot methods to use.

The chip is really minor, I think the function would be fine and you are only chasing aesthetics.

Back