Cracked Drill Press Pulley Repair

Like stacking a "disc" as it was called above on the broken sheave. Or doing a buildup with whatever means available (aluminum braze, traditional braze, hard solder, or similar hot methods) and turning the repair smooth. JB weld can do amazing things on parts that only see moderate forces at the repair joint, so that combined with the disc washer would make a visibly appealing repair.

It looks steel, so that opens up more hot methods to use.

The chip is really minor, I think the function would be fine and you are only chasing aesthetics.
Thanks - I see what you mean and I tend to lean in the direction that it will be fine as is. Hopefully I can find a good pulley but the broken one will be plan B
Rick

just looked at the pulley again, if appearence doesnt bother ya get the price lower and use as is...youll be fine

And I just tried to get mine off the shaft again . Tighter than a bull's butt in fly season . I'm afraid I'll bust the pulley if I continue to manhandle it . Can't press it off as there is no room between the motor casing and the pulley hub . The motor itself would make a heck of a grinder , buffer or wire wheel motor . I really don't need it but hate to chew either the motor or pulley up beyond use . I'll hold onto it and if you want to swing by .

And I just tried to get mine off the shaft again . Tighter than a bull's butt in fly season . I'm afraid I'll bust the pulley if I continue to manhandle it . Can't press it off as there is no room between the motor casing and the pulley hub . The motor itself would make a heck of a grinder , buffer or wire wheel motor . I really don't need it but hate to chew either the motor or pulley up beyond use . I'll hold onto it and if you want to swing by .
try heat

Dave - while I am disappointed (you were my last hope :)) I really don't need another project :). I think the reality is that your pulley was not the desired DP-645 based on the large step measurement of 6.250 (should be 6.00). I was hoping we could have gotten measurements of all steps so I could see if the sum of the matching pulley steps (spindle to motor) was consistent across all steps - this would tell me tht I could use the pulley even though there would be some difference in speed ranges. If the summation was not consistent I would need to adjust belt tension with every speed change.

I am tempted to stop by and pick it up (I suspect though if you can"t get it off I wouldn't either) - how far off of 95 are you? If I stop buy - what are you looking to get for both motor and pulley?

i assume you are giving up on getting the pulley off? I may just end up getting the damaged pulley shown above - I'll wait to hear what you are planning on doing.

Rick

Good news Rick ! :encourage:

Back