Covers For Your Sherline......What do you use ??

Crow Horse

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for ideas for a cover to keep my 4000 free from pet hair and dust. Granted, a plastic bag would be effective but I am hoping for a more professional looking cover. I have considered modifying the vinyl cover that is for the 4400/4500. Before I do that I would like to see what other folks are using. Thanks!

I have the Sherline covers for mine, they make a short one for the 4000/4500 and a longer one for the 4400. Kind of a stiff plastic so they make a tent over the lathe. Works good for stuff coming down on them, but since there isn't a tight seal at the bottom if it is in a place where stuff was blowing at them like in a wood shop that might be an issue.

A heavy pillow case cut in half would probably work too.

From what I've read, the short cover isn't currently available . I don't know if it's just out of stock or if it's been discontinued. If it does become available I'll get one. If it isn't, I might sew one up for it (yes, I can sew). Right now I have the lathe sequestered away in a roll top desk. It provides terrific protection but I really would like to have the use of my desk back.

It is probably just out of stock.

If you want to make your own you could buy a good heavyweight shower curtain for material. I bought a nice heavyweight commercial shower curtain one that I hang behind my larger mill and lathe to help keep the chips contained close to the machine. I think it was around $15 at Home Depot, and would provide enough material for a couple of Sherline sized covers.

Another option would be a plastic tote, either store the lathe inside, maybe with some desiccant packages to help prevent rust, or just flip it upside down and put it over the top of the lathe.

I use an old bath towel. Best to use a material that breathes.

I might sew one up for it (yes, I can sew)
If you can sew and have a machine you’re away to the races. I’ve made covers for all my sewing machines from a fairly tight grade of landscape cloth (not the really plastic-like stuff, more along the lines of spun polyester). I haven’t gotten around to making fitted ones for shop machines yet, but I was thinking of trying some Tyvek to see that that would be like. Trouble is I can’t find the fabric type here yet, just the house wrap which is too stiff. Might have to sacrifice some disposable coveralls and give it a try.

-frank

I have 2 machines, both pretty old. One is a commercial machine that I've used in the past to make tow straps. My smaller machine would get the nod for a job of this size with lightweight material. I did have a 1st gen Goretex bivy sack and that might be a good material to use if I can locate it. Another option I though of is to get the one for the 4400 and alter the one end. My lathe will be stored indoors in a heated room so breathability isn't so much of an issue.
My large machine (pictured below) is a beast. The previous owner was heading to the dump with it and I intercepted it. I gave them $50 and they even delivered it. Believe me, it didn't look like that when I got it.
Singer 251-12 006.jpg

I am hoping for a more professional looking cover.

I don't have a Sherline but I use these covers by HTC called Tool Savers to cover my machines when I don't want grinding dust, overspray, or other crap getting on them. They're coated with plastisol, breathable, water resistant, & have magnets sewn into all 4 corners to help keep them in place if needed. The magnets aren't neodymium so they aren't that strong but they're good enough & I don't really need them anyway.

I have every size they make (sm, med, lg, jumbo) & multiples for every size except the largest jumbo size. My oldest one is about 10 yrs old now & has been holding up great, no tears or fraying. They're kind of expensive though & even more expensive now (I just checked Amazon & they are on the high side for pricing as of this post). Amazon is usually the cheapest, the prices fluctuate a lot. I got most of mine cheap as Amazon Warehouse deals (damaged packaging but no damage to the product). Some will say they would never pay money for what they are but I like em.

You could also check out bbq grill covers or cooler covers. They come in all sorts of sizes. Your local big box hardware store may even stock them.

20190818_161905.jpg
20190818_162109.jpg

That’s a nice commercial, I’ve always wondered what it would be like to sew on one. All mine are domestics: a 15-88 that belonged to my mom, then a 99K, 192K, 201K, 301, 328, 401, and a Japanese Omega clone. Keeps me happy :)

The clear plastic bags that linens and comforters come in are perfect. As your wife.
R

Back