Counter Shaft Pulley Rod - Steel Type

JRT

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey guys, I think someone cut down the 1/2" diameter steel rod that the 4 step pulley and two step larger pulley ride on. The large pulley that the motor pulley turns barely clears the cotter pin that holds in the countershaft handle rod in the armature. My question is, what grade of steel should I use if I wanted to make a longer, 1/2" pulley shaft? W1, O1, mild steel, does it matter? does it need to be hardened? Thank you! -John

I can get that pretty easy. I can also get W1 or O1 if its a better choice. Just thought I'd ask. Any clue what the factory ones were made of?... all of the steel "shafts" in the Counter Shaft for that matter. Thanks. -John

being as they were low end machines and low powered,, it is doubtful that anything special was used for countershafting.

Any clue what the factory ones were made of?... all of the steel "shafts" in the Counter Shaft for that matter.
I don’t see any drawings for the countershafts themselves in our Downloads section, but we do have at least two for the rocker shaft on the 618 as well as 10” lathes. Both materials are called out as “B1112” with a cyanide heat treat. Maybe that helps you or maybe not.

-frank

1665276972129.png

1665277014437.png

Thanks for this, appreciate it. Makes me feel better about using some cold roll scrap I have…We’ll see, I also like to over-do things so I may get some W1 and do a heat treat.

I think that the cyanide treatment was for case hardening. Without which the part won't last very long.

Reactions: JRT
Back