Cost of sleaving a master cylinder?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A guy brought in 2 old MG brake master cylinders today for me to resleeve in stainless. Can anybody tell me what the commercial guys charge to to do this?

Randy

Randy

I had called around for the same job at one time. The shops that where willing to take on the job said because they would have to machine the sleeve, from scratch, it would be 3 to 4 hrs @ shop rate. That was for a old Packard

Check with Corvette restorers...

Sleeving disc brake calipers for older Corvettes used to be quite popular; think there's still some companies doing it.

You might contact them about doing "one-offs".

Most good auto parts places have rebuild services available through their supplier of rebuilt parts.

Thanks for the responses guys. Resleeving those muthas was a *****. I'll never do that again without factoring in the cost of a custom fixture. I still need to punch a dull #60 drill from 3" away through the SS sleeve 8^(

Randy

I am not sure what MG they came off, but here's a picture of the MC's

Randy

100_3900.JPG

jim

places that do this all the time get the price down.

i remember it was a big craze in the 80's to sleeve

with stainless steel and then everybody figured out

there was something wrong with it.

i would just keep looking for core that's within tolerance.

Have A Nice Day!

jim

all i ever did was bleed master cylinder down and

wipe out bottom with white paper towel.

got rubber 'sand' out of bottom and refilled then called it good.

i would take off all 4 wheels and brake drums.

plus follow steel lines and rubber hoses.

Have A Nice Day!

I just bored them out to just shy of 1 inch and pressed in a tube of 304 that was one thou larger. Then bored the stainless to .875" ID. The hardest part was punching the ,040" hole through the sleeve via the reservoir. If you do it your self, take the time to make a square fixture that you can remove and replace accurately to the 4 jaw chuck. You will regret it, if you try to hold the MC with the 4 jaw 8^(

Randy

Back