Registered
Registered
Hot Rodder's

there's a guy around here with a bunch of

Corvair stuff he's getting rid of.

what should i look for?

i'm thinking take the engine and trans w/axles that

looks the best.

plus get the later IRS kind not the Ralph Nader swing axles.

bob

Anything having to do with the turbo is gold. Chromed tubing intake manifold, chrome aircleaner, side-draft carb, exhaust manifold 4- bolt turbo flange.

Some of the Corvairs had a supercharger on them too. The little corvair van had one in one of the last years it was made. They are a restorers dream. If you get a whole car do a concourse resto otherwise use the drive train for a desert buggy. Air cooled is cool, just make sure you duct plenty of air onto the cylinders and block. Above all HAVE FUN.
Bob

You take everything and sort it out at your leisure. If you do not then you may be missing THE piece and will kick yourself. Inventory what you have, bag and tag. Look at your options and what the market offers in replacement or refurbed. Anything you do not need or will not use, you pass along to someone else. Free or trade or cash, just keep the parts in the system, once they are destroyed they are gone.
I worked all July and August last summer on a friends AMX and not having new original parts and no aftermarket replacements neither forced work arounds and rebuilds on crappy parts. I likely spent over 200 hrs on stuff that on a more popular car would of taken 10% of that, using NOS or better quality used parts.
Old parts can be gold to restoring an old car.

A buddy of mine used to race a 1963 Corvair on the drag strip. He used a four barrel carb and an exotic intake manifold to power it.
I believe the manifolds were available from catalog order.

Hot Rodders

there was a big auction of acres of a guy's accumulation over the years.

article was in Hemmings.

anything that didn't meet $350 minimum bid ( what auction outfit could get as scrap metal ) went off to crusher.

almost all Corvairs the guy had collected went Bye-Bye. Yikes!

here's Wikipedia Corvairs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair

Have A Nice Day!

Back