Corrugated Black Plastic To Protect Mill/lath Ways

kplyler

Registered
Registered
I see lots of peoples pictures with corrugated black plastic protecting the internals of lathe/mill. I have mounting screws on my J-head, but I used thin black plastic. It gets sucked into the vacuum when I am cleaning, and last week I melted holes in it with hot chips (that's what I get for using plastic bathtub curtain).

I went to a couple hobby shops this weekend and did a couple searches here and have not come up with anything. Could someone point me to a thread or post ideas?

Thanks

right now I am using some off the cheapest thinnest car floor mats. I bought the set for $6 working ok for me and I gave one to my boy for his mill.

I use the treadmill belts you have left over after robbing the motors and electronics for other projects.
Tough and yet very pliable.

Neoprene pond liner from the garden/landscape store?

-frank

I have been using cabinet shelf lining from Walmart---has held up pretty good and is cheap.

We had expanding, accordian type thicker rubber matthat we covered the ways of thd lathes when we used a toolpost grinder. Don't know where it came from but I have seen a number of precision machines covering slides.

.125 Buna-N Rubber Sheet, available from McMaster Carr, is what I use.

Back