Correct way to tighten work in 1 hole scroll chuck?

Don,

There's a very good chance, the holes were put in the chuck body by my dad when he bought the chuck many years ago. Ken

Did he work for Cushman? Cause I have 2 chucks like yours. One Cushman and one Craftsmen made by Cushman. The OP's chuck may be a wood working chuck/

Did he work for Cushman? Cause I have 2 chucks like yours. One Cushman and one Craftsmen made by Cushman. The OP's chuck may be a wood working chuck/
Not hardly. The chuck he bought from Sears when they sold real stuff. Now, it may be a Cushman in disguise but I don't ever recall ever seeing this item in any of their catalogs I have.

The craftsman chuck came with my lathe and was missing all of the jaws. I found out Cushman was the supplier at the time. I contacted them about jaws and they confirmed they did make my chuck and would be happy to make new jaws for $60.00 each jaw. needless to say a said thanks but no thanks.

Interesting, have been working in machine shops for 30 years and have never seen such a chuck, when did they stop being used?

Interesting, have been working in machine shops for 30 years and have never seen such a chuck, when did they stop being used?

They are light duty chucks, not something you would find in a job shop. And as far as I know they are still available today.

.......snip............ would be happy to make new jaws for $60.00 each jaw. needless to say a said thanks but no thanks.
That's really not a bad price if you ask me. What would make my mind up would be if the chuck body is in good shape to make it worth while for new jaws.
Want to sell the chuck body? I have the outside jaw set to my chuck. Be nice to have two chucks on hand ready to go for either capacity.

Just drill a hole for another bar in the part that does not have one. Just find a spot where the hole Won't interfere with anything else. Or if you don't want to drill it you could get another chuck. I used a 25$ three jaw tail stock chuck from harbor freight. Unscrewed the morse taper and tapped the chuck for 1/2-20 threads. I think I got under.003 runout

I am not familiar with your type chuck. But,how about locking the spindle with the back gear engagement pin.Then,you can operate the tommy bar without the chuck turning.

Secondly: Sears never made ANYTHING themselves. My guess is that the small chuck was made by Union. Or Atlas. Sears did sell some chucks that were made in England,too. The 8" 4 jaw chuck on my 12" Sears Atlas lathe was made in England.

Back