Copper to aluminum?

Bill Kahn

Registered
Registered
Any suggestions for what to use to solder copper to aluminum? I am a newbie and this will be my first (non-electrical) solder adventure. Thanks. -Bill

98%Zinc/2%Aluminum alloys are used in HVAC systems for this purpose

I don't think that you will be soldering the two materials together, because the temp needed is too high. However, there are brazes that will braze the two dissimilar metals together, as the Doctor states.

Why don't you tell us what you want to do with the two metals?

I don't think that you will be soldering the two materials together, because the temp needed is too high. However, there are brazes that will braze the two dissimilar metals together, as the Doctor states.

Why don't you tell us what you want to do with the two metals?
OP here--The use is a small one-off artistic piece (there is a particular reason why aluminum and copper, not worth explaining). It will be a 2 inch butt joint on .3" thick plate. (Actually, six such joints).

I am happy to braze too--I gather the official difference from soldering is just that the melting point of the filler is over 840F. Of course, need to stay under like 1150F or the aluminum gets soft.

-Bill

O have successfully soldered wires to aluminum foil but nothing as large as the joint you are trying to make.. In my experience, the key is to be able to remove the oxide layer on the aluminum and get down to the bare metal. Actually, the same is true for copper. If you have a black oxide layer on the copper, it is impossible to solder. The difference between the two is that the copper oxide can be dissolved with an appropriate flux while the the aluminum oxide has to be removed by mechanical means. Also, aluminum oxides very quickly in air.

If you can manage to tin the mating surfaces, you should be good to go. Once tinned, the solder will flow into the joint.

Something that I haven't tried but might work is to use an inert atmosphere to prevent the aluminum from oxidizing. I am thinking of something like a small glove box and argon gas. There are also available zinc based brazing rods which will bond to aluminum. again, if you can manage to tin the aluminum with it, you should be able to solder that surface.

You may want to look into Muggyweld

Attachments

• B27DF008-C2A5-40A3-BE8E-4E470C9F7C71.jpeg
    B27DF008-C2A5-40A3-BE8E-4E470C9F7C71.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
Copper to aluminum is a common need for electrical bus bars to high power furnaces and electroplating plants. The transition from aluminum to copper was by a high pressure cold weld. I can't recall the detail, but I once connected 6mm thick bus bars that used this trick. Search on the net for aluminum copper cold weld.

Well looks like a have to make some video of exotic welding ... :) 4 sure i will do .. :)

I think you will have the best results with zinc brazing, as @Ulma Doctor quickly pointed out. Low temp, with enough adhesion for a low-stress application. Your plate thickness will probably make it hard to heat the copper with propane, so I'd try oxy/acetylene based on that detail having not seen what you're working with.

Back