Copper Plate and Strong Magnets-Blows my Mind!

OK, I was suspicious at first but after watching the entire video I will buy the premise. Very cool, I knew about inductance but did not know about this phenomena of inductance before.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I saw this years ago on one of the science youtubers.... I played with a copper pipe and neodymian magnet for quite a while testing (ok playing) with it. FLUX is cool.

I have done some "hands-on" science displays with kids (in the before times).
The "drop a strong magnet down a copper tube" experiment still amazes me........Lenz's law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz's_law

It can be done with copper, aluminum, and non-magnetic stainless.
When staring down the top of the tube the magnet looks to hover and fall slowly, sometimes tumbling.
So counter to gravity, yet the magnet does not stick to the tube.....

The thicker the tube wall the better the affect.

-brino

The effect also is used on maglev trains. They use wheels at low speeds but once they get going the train is supported by the magnets. Magnetic bearings work in the same way.

It isn't for free though -- eddy current losses come into play. And you can't avoid that -- there MUST be eddy currents in order to generate an opposing magnetic field. At first it would appear that the Meissner Effect is an exception. But since you need to cool the substrate down enough to become superconducting, it really isn't for free either.

It isn't for free though -- eddy current losses come into play
I believe there is heat energy as well from the resistance.
I received my order last night of some 1"X .200" ring and and a 2" X 1" X 3/8" , N52 Neodymium magnets.
I had no idea magnets were this strong. I unwrapped the rings and set them aside. Then I opened the large 2X1. The rings flew off the bench to the large magnet! I'd say it was 8-9" away. Incredible.
I have a 1/2" thick copper plate. I slid the magnets down the plate at about a 45 angle. =Way Cool!
I'm looking for a piece of copper pipe for the rings.
I have to show my boys and their kids :)
Some kids never grow up, Thank God!

I believe there is heat energy as well from the resistance.
I received my order last night of some 1"X .200" ring and and a 2" X 1" X 3/8" , N52 Neodymium magnets.
I had no idea magnets were this strong. I unwrapped the rings and set them aside. Then I opened the large 2X1. The rings flew off the bench to the large magnet! I'd say it was 8-9" away. Incredible.
I have a 1/2" thick copper plate. I slid the magnets down the plate at about a 45 angle. =Way Cool!
I'm looking for a piece of copper pipe for the rings.
I have to show my boys and their kids :)
Some kids never grow up, Thank God!
Although I have not seen it happen, letting big Neos smash into each other due to their attraction can shatter them into pieces -- the material is a hot-pressed composite, not cast, and is much like a ceramic. Brittle. They also can be a pinch hazard.

It also is a really bad idea to let toddlers play with smaller super-magnets. If they swallow them the magnets can literally pinch sections of the gut together and cause a life-threatening situation. This probably is not an issue for you, given the sizes of the magnets. Of course, it also depends on the ages of your grandkids.

All this said, they are fun and interesting to play around with. I have a number of them in various sizes. Most seem to have turned into very strong refrigerator magnets :).

Back