Coop's Sheldon-Vernon Type O

congrats on your new acquisition Coop, looks like you'll have a whole lot of fun with it, especially as you have that vertical head. Great score on the X-Y table too, I can't imagine how anyone copes without one. Even just drilling a few wholes in a line is that much easier. Will you be doing a similar tear down on the mill as you did with your DP or leave and use as is?

Thanks! I wish I had that x-y table last week when I was drilling all the brackets for the braces I got for the Scout...

I'm just hoping to clean it up, fix a few small issues and just use it. It really seems to be in great shape and I'd probably do more harm than good if I tore it down at this point. Besides, I'm getting knee deep,in getting the SB lathe up and running...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Pulled the motor and did some checking...

Good news! It's a dual voltage dual speed continuous duty motor! I wasn't able to see the whole data plate with the mirror!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409844031.328982.jpg

I popped the pecker head cover and lo and behold! It is wired for 220V!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409844083.590642.jpg

This means I can use the same VFD that is on the DP! So what I think I will do is mount the VFD in a box between the two machines with an outlet on the box then just wire plugs to the motors.

I'm pretty sure I'm only going to use one a time, but the thought of just hard wiring both using a switch is crossing my mind.

Maybe at some point when I'm looking for something new to do...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409844031.328982.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409844083.590642.jpg

Looks great! If I remember right the Rusnok head is the original head for that machine. Even though Rusnok made other milling heads. Sometimes the big companies sub there parts out. Like the Logan lathe milling attachment is a Palmgren in there catalog. -J

ah yes, forgot about the SB. Have you started a thread on that yet?

Looks great! If I remember right the Rusnok head is the original head for that machine. Even though Rusnok made other milling heads. Sometimes the big companies sub there parts out. Like the Logan lathe milling attachment is a Palmgren in there catalog. -J

Thanks! Yes, that head is an option for the Type O. It's listed in the parts book...

Rewired the VFD I put on the drill press and mounted it to the pegboard I installed behind the press and mill. Added some cord caps and now I can use the VFD for both machines! It works great! Now I just need some leveling feet...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411313383.355591.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411313398.905678.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411313410.768923.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411313383.355591.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411313398.905678.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411313410.768923.jpg

Back