Convert a manual grinder to auto feed?

The Serno is 2855.
I thought the #2 always has the auto feed and the #2B is the manual one, (but I could be totally wrong) I do not know what any of the other sufixes are or what they might mean.
You are correct about the model numbers, senior moment... Mine is power feed, and it is a 2L, which caused the confusion. I will look for the serial number...

Make sure that is the correct serial number. From the Vintage Machinery Knowledge Base:

#2 surface grinding machine

Year 1919 1927 1935 1947
S/N 5698 7948 10067 18829

2855 would be a VERY early machine, and yours does not look that old by the way it is configured. Where are you finding the serial number? Might it be 12855?

This is from the right side of the table.

And if it is any help here is the data plate from the motor.

B&S No2 010.JPG

B&S No2 011.JPG

Last edited:
Well, that could well be the s/n of the grinder, it should be somewhere on the base as well. The motor is not original to the B&S grinder, it is off a Parker Majestic grinder, and the spindle as well. Whatever, if it works, then it works!

Based on some fuzzy logic based on how many machines were sold per decade, that would put my machine around 1904????
I wonder if mine was an old belt drive that was converted to electric once it became available.

Mentioning old and electric and belts......
The place I work at has some real interesting history, In the building where I work they used to make carriages for the civil war. They had one big steam engine to power all the pullies and shafts for all the belt drive equipment all over the plant. There are still some bits of that equipment hanging from the ceilings. Once it was invented they added an electric generator to that steam engine to electrify the building, then at night they would throw a big switch and send the electric power to all of the homes in about a 3 block radius of the plant. It is not like you can shut off a steam engine for the night and fire it back up in the morning, so they let it make power all night for the homes and then when the factory was ready to start in the morning all the houses went dark and people were glad to have that much power.

Well I have some stepper motors on the way to start playing with. Mostly just to learn how to make them spin for a first step.
I also have 2 different stepper controllers coming, one programmable and one that just does speed and direction they are the ones I referenced earlier in this thread.
I still need to pick out a couple of drivers.

I will have an emergency system with limit switches at the extrems of machine movement in both directions that will cut the main power to the whole system if either axis ever hits the mechanical limits of the machine. This would only happen if there was some other failure that did not stop travel when it was supposed to.

Starting to hunt around to find locations for the limit switches and reversing switches.
For the "X" travel of the table I plan to try to mount the switches on the spring loaded bumpers that are used for manual operation to help stop and reverse table movement while cranking. the springs should also help the steppers to get the table back moving the other way. This will also be how I set how much travel is needed.

The plan of the moment is to use the controller that is just speed and direction to drive the table back and forth. Every time it hits a limit switch it will reverse direction and it has a knob to set the speed.

For the "Y" axis I plan to have the programmable controller so that I can have a "Home" position, and it will increment the table every time the reverse button gets hit on the back stroke. It will let me program the step size, number of steps to end, and I think I can even have it turn off the "X" axis once it is done and sound or light an alarm to let me know it is done. There is also a manual mode so that I can use the jog buttons to position or move the table manually using the motors. It does a bunch of other stuff that I probably have no use for.

Yes a little Arduino or similar would do this really slick, but that level of programing is way over my pay scale. I will be in enough of a panic mode programing this little 1 axis controller that only has 15 commands for me to choose from and a max of 99 program steps.

Progress is starting, but this is not a project that will happen real fast. I usually end up working on things in spurts. I am sure that I will have LOTS of questions once I start getting actual parts in my grubby little mitts. As I said before this is all very new territory for me.

Oh man, I got the controller for the table movement delivered today. But it was shipped in a padded envelope and got crushed in route. It is now on its way back to Amazon and I get to start waiting all over for another one to get here.......... BUMMER

Oh man, I got the controller for the table movement delivered today. But it was shipped in a padded envelope and got crushed in route. It is now on its way back to Amazon and I get to start waiting all over for another one to get here.......... BUMMER

Well that just sucks. :(

Got tracking on new controller, should be here on 6-12.
But I was able to play with the damaged one enough to know that I will need more external circuitry to make it work as desired.

The direction switch is a push on / push off type DPDT. So I will need to make a circuit that will push on at one end of table travel and push of at the other end of table travel to get it running back and forth. This should not be to hard to come up with.

I have a latching relay ordered for the limit switches to interface thru to switch the direction back and forth.

My limit switches came in but they are not as advertised, they were advertised as DPDT momentary contact. What I got was DPST momentary, with one side NO and the other side NC. I do not yet know if I can make these work or if I have to send them back and try again. I do not need double throws, but at this point I do not have the controller for the y axis so I do not know if I need NO or NC. only one of the switches needs to be 2P that is the one that wil use one circuit to reverse the table and at the same time increment the Y feed. the limit switch at the other end of the table travel only needs to be a NO momentary switch to tell the controller to reverse speed. I could use 2 SPDT limit switches at the one end but then there is just more mounting and set up to do.

In looking closer I am seeing a lot of different limit switches listed as DPDT and in this same configuration of one NO and one NC switch. At least they were only $11 so not the end of the world. I seem to be having difficulty finding DPDT limit switches that have a sensible price tag. I do not want to spend more for one switch that I am for the entire rest of the system including the grinder.

After typing all of this I think I just talked myself into sending the switches back and using 2 of the SPDT switches on the one end rather than building a circuit to reverse the normal state of the wrong switch.

Back to shopping mode.

Someone mentioned somewhere, the main hardware is the cheap part, it is all the little stuff that adds up.

Back