Contactor blew,what to ask for when buying a new one.

Michael: Rabler is right, you want to ditch the contactor and any other junk in between the vfd and the motor. You want to do just like you did for the mill. Control panel and what have you. Rinse and repeat
Hopefully you haven't damaged the vfd by now but maybe you got lucky, Yaskawas are pretty rugged
-Mark

Hi Mark.
I was wondering when you will be joining this conversation, but I thought you were sick of me and vfd's by now,but I see I haven't scared you off yet :D. Yes maybe I am lucky because it is still going strong. Mark,would the perimeter settings be the same as the alpha drive vfd or does that differ from vfd to vfd?

There is a bit of a difference between the mill and lathe though. The lathes motor keeps running and the spindle engages with a clutch while the mill spindle, the motor starts and stops.

They are different, each manufacturer does things their own way, unfortunately
Even though the mechanical drives are different between the mill and lathe it's still best to run the motor direct from the vfd with nothing in between
We preach this all the time- you are taking a chance on damaging your vfd otherwise. When you open the motor circuit it generates voltage spikes that can exceed the breakdown ratings of the vfd output stage
-M

Regards my suggestion; No harm done.
If it were me and I had to have it, I'd take the thing in to an electrical supply. But I've never seen a vfd used with a contactor. And now I'm learning it's bad to do that. Huh!? I just thought there wasn't any need. Thanks for the explanation fellahs!

Repeating what others stated...VFD is connected directly to motor.ALWAYS.

NEVER use a contactor.

You want reverse then tell the VFD to reverse.

Simple 3 wire control.

A contactor still can be used as a "magnetic control" on the INPUT side or just a service disconnect or switch.

Ours has what looks like standard light switch as main disconnect but it is double pole 30 amp so it handles the 240 VAC line connect just fine.

If you have existing lever like switches or other factory stuff then use the switches in them to control he VFD.

Our drum switch is factory on outside but rewired inside to control VFD.

FORWARD, OFF AND REVERSE works just like factory except motor slows to stop then spins up opposite when flipped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks again everyone. I reccon H-M i s the best thing since sliced bread with all the help I get when I need help.

Back