Concrete Workbench for HF 8x12 44859

Your question has already been answered but I'll chime in. I have the Little Machine Shop version of the Sieg C4 lathe. It's mounted on a Grizzly/Shop Fox Tool table and it's works fine. That table sits on a concrete floor.

ER32chuckreadytogo_zpse8836524.jpg

I'd just go ahead and make a table out of 2 x 4's or buy a tool table. As long as you use it within its intended limits you'll be OK. Good luck with your lathe. This 8 x 16 lathe is the best of the 3 import lathes I've owned.

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Yesterday, I decided to move a couple things around in my soon-to-be workhsop. There were a bunch of cabinets in there when we moved in and they were in pretty bad shape/not worth trying to fix. I may have gotten a little carried away! The good thing is, I was able to align the cupboards and workbenches the way I like, and the workbenches are sturdy. I even screwed them up against the studs for extra stability. My plan is to put the lathe on one of those benches but weight concerns me. The shelf is only 7/16 particle-board, so I may have to get some 3/4 ply for peace of mind. The only thing left is to rewire the hanging lights; they were hung and wired so badly it's scary! Hey, maybe the wife will be able to get her car in the garage now! *cough cough, not likely* haha.

IMG_0214.JPGIMG_0212.JPGIMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0212.JPG IMG_0210.JPG

Last edited:
You are doing good Ross. Good idea to get rid of the particle board. I've got my lathe mounted on 2x stock. 3/4 plywood should be okay. One thing that I discovered is make sure that you have easy access to the headstock side. Not just for the door but also to the motor and its electrical wiring. Especially if you decide to add the low speed pulley. Mark

Mine is a little smaller but I have 3 pieces of 3/4 luan ply under mine. It is overkill but the bench was made for something else. My mill is bolted to the matching table.

I actually plan on going to concrete for mine eventually but not for strength. I want to experiment with glass fiber reinforced concrete counter tops and that seems like as good as a product to make as any to learn on.

Thanks David,

Yes, my original idea of making a concrete lathe bench stemmed from seeing kitchen counter tops made that way on some DIY show. I just like the look of them, to be honest. Maybe one day I'll give it a go. Might have to bug you for tips later.

My 8x14 is mounted to a 28" long by 6" wide by 1-1/4" chunk of flat bar that sits on top of my bench. I only did it, because I wanted a fairly full proof way of making sure I could accurately level my lathe.

Back