Concrete shop floor thickness

If an installation is probably OK and a little downtime down the road won't kill you, why not gamble? If things go bad you could yard it out of the hole ;) and put in a new thicker section. We're not talking about hydro turbines or power hammers, right?

On wood floors: I recall a coworker talking about a machine shop he worked in years ago (New Westminster/Coquitlam I think) that was on the second floor of a timber building. The engineers signed off on it...

I live where we have some expansive type soil but no frost line. I used 12" x 12" footer with depth 4" minimum. 3 beams across 12x12 and one longways down the middle. 2 ea 1\2 rebar in the footer, 3\8 bar 18" oc. 24x40, think we dropped 16 yards 4000 psi min. Second truck was late. The slab has the usual shrinkage cracks for this area. No changes in any of the few visible cracks in 3 years. Slab is good for a two post lift, 4 post lift or any machine I could possibly afford. If I bought a 10 ton punch press then I'd just cut a hole and pour a separate pad for that lol.

You have received some excellent advise in these posts. I cannot find fault with any of the suggestions (I, like ronboley, am a structural engineer with a little over 40 years experience) but I can comment on some of the details that may help with economy. Your soil sounds good and firm and I would not anticipate that you would have a bearing problems with it. If you need to level the base of the slab and want a little "bridging" for slab, you can use a little stone under the slab (No. 57 is what most contractors prefer because it is easy to rake level, I prefer a more dense graded stone, but it costs more and is more difficult to place level). You can use "Visqueen" or construction fabric over the stone if you feel you want to keep moisture down, sealing the surface is arguably just as good. (The construction fabric can add strength to the slab by spreading the load over the stone, it's not especially costly.) A four inch thick slab should prove adequate. I have used No. 3 rebar on 16" centers with No. 4 bar on 8" centers for the last foot around the perimeter. One time we did this for heavy tracked machines with no cracking. In that case with did use 4 X 3 A36 steel angle with studs at the edges where the machines entered/exited. These same angles served as the top of the forms which saved some time. You should no need anything like this, but if you ever encounter that situation. The slab was abused beyond imagination but it never cracked.

I personally do not prefer the wire "mesh". In a 4" slab this stuff is hard to keep level and will float up when you try to finish the surface. The rebar is comparable in price (might be less!) and will stay put during pouring and finishing. Just lap any splices about 20 bar diameters. That's not but about 8" for No. 3 and 10" for No. 4. If you want to assure that you don't get any little surface "crazing" cracks you can have the concrete supplier add fiberglass shards to the mix. This costs ('round here) about $4 per cubic yard. The "glass" makes the slab more difficult to finish and there will be little "fuzzies" on the finished surface. This does not last long in travel areas and the slab is as tight as a drum. You can treat the cured slab with everything from acrylic form treatment to fiberglass and epoxy coatings. That's the Cadillac end of things. (Note: Thompson's Water Seal is an acrylic material that can be duplicated and exceeded in quality for a lot less cost by purchasing the heavy form sealer from any Construction Supply Company-they know this and will sell you what you need.)

Where frost heaving and highly plastic soils are present (or slimy alkaline soils that won't drain), or earthquakes, there are big problems to overcome; but they can be overcome, it just costs more. If anyone has a particular problem with these conditions, just send me a PM and will send you back my highly biased opinion. There is no need to go into that amount of detail here, unless someone wants to.

My goodness, fellas. Thanks for all the help.

I think I'm going to go with a four or six inch slab, with some crushed aggregate and such beneath and rebar reinforcement. A slightly larger addition may be in the cards, thus opening up space for slightly larger machinery, though not by much. Not talking a one-ton Bligeport or some such.

Fortunately I have got my father on board with this as well. Despite his old age, he's got the know-how when it comes to structural integrity. So between him and this board, I believe I'm pretty well set.

HM rocks!

I have poured two slabs, one for my shop (24' x 36') and a 24' x 24' for my garage. I made them both 3-1/2 inches thick on compacted sand/gravel/soil which is what I have here in central Kentucky. In both cases I used 4000 pound concrete with fiber and NO filler ash.
All concrete will crack so I put saw cuts every eight feet about 1 inch deep and that way the concrete will crack in the saw cuts so no unsightly crack anywhere.
Its been ten years since I poured the shop slab and it has held up just fine.
I did make the perimieter of the slab a little deeper to lock it in.
I think a four inch slab will be fine for you if the base under the concrete is good and you don't go cheap on the mix.
I did put two rows of 1/2" rebar around the perimeter in the deepened part but no mesh. You really dont need mesh if you use the fiber in the mix

I'd go no less than 6' thick and add rebar or find some heavy wire fence to put in the mix while pouring . just make sure its not rusty, most of my garage / shop floor is 8" but there is one area than is only 6" thick. I added rebar panels and wire fencing , after more than 20 years I have only 1 crack, that happened about 4 months after the pour . I did cut relief joints every 12 foot (2) the worst part is troweling a smooth finish with out power paddle. better to have it to thick than to thin. I knew I would have lathe and mill before I built building. also install what looked like a pi symbol in 1 corner to chain items down that could be wheeled off. but I had stuff in shop before I had doors. recommend steel frame and steal doors with heavy locks. Way back then we didn't even lock house when we went to town. now we lock doors even when we are home. times are changing every where.

I know this is a old post. My shop floor is 4 in with fiber on a well compacted base. I did this 10 yrs ago and holding up well. 16 by 53 American pacemaker 6600 lbs, 9 j gorton mill. 4200 lb and 16 in cinn shaper haven't had any problems.
If I was doing again ,I would put chain pots or eye bolts in the floor priemter every 8 ft or so to help in moving machines.
Thanks ron

Back