Compressor air tanks

Jimbir

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know where I might get a replacement tank for my 4 horsepower, 18 gal craftsman air compressor?

Thanks Jim Birke

I have a few nice tanks down here , not sure of the size though .

I see them on Craigs list occasionally, other than that it seems like the cheapest route is to just buy another compressor, The tank only options I've found new run more than the complete unit. Mike

I see them on Craigs list occasionally, other than that it seems like the cheapest route is to just buy another compressor, The tank only options I've found new run more than the complete unit. Mike
That's kind of like what I've been finding and, when you add freight the difference becomes even less. Since my compressor is strictly for home and hobby use, I've been looking at HF's "premium" brands.

Jim

Just about anything "gas tight" has at one time or another been used. Many (most) I personally disagree with, such as the "good ol' boy" using a one pound propane gas bottle to drive an airbrush. Hopefully he hasn't blown himself up, yet. Over the years, Propane and Freon tanks have served many as "git by" tanks. Eliminating ALL the residual gas is important, but the big issue is the relatively light gauge sheet metal that they have been made from. Although rated as a pressure tank, they can (and do) rupture.

I personally would want an "ASME" rated tank. A non-ASME tank should be available at most any car parts store as a tire filling tank. For a true ASME tank, WWGrainger would be a starting point. Mostly because they're close to me, I'm sure there are many sources.

If you're not concerned about the rating, a cheap Wally World compressor might be cheaper. I have several tire tanks as "buffers" on long air lines. Such as for a nailer. . . The long hose with small ID has a lot of losses for high volumn, short duration work like a nailer. A buffer tank close by fills many shortcomings there. Mine is rigged with the same fittings as on the hoses. A piece of cake to add a pressure switch and gauge to the lash-up.

I once stumbled over a DeVilbis pump with an ASME tank at a Sears store. It was labled Craftsman, but priced as a low end pump. I couldn't get the money out fast enough. Many (most?) Craftsman air pumps had non-rated tanks. This one had the giveaway pipe plug in one end. (33 Gal)

I (again, personal opinion) won't waste money on an "oil-less" pump. They are a marketing gimmik for cheap air pumps, nothing more. Mechanically they won't hold up in the long term. Same for the tank on a compressor, ASME or do without. But there are, and have been for years, many "git-bys" for air tanks. It all depends on pressure, volumn, and anti-rupture capabilities. And residual gasses. . .

Last edited:
Did you ever find a tank ? :) I do have a few nice ones down here and come up to New York quite often . These are new tanks that were never used .

Back