Common collet sizes

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
I'm getting ready to buy a new mill, and that got me thinking about collets and how many you actually need. The last (and only) mill I owned came with a large set of collets, and pretty much all the other mills I've used had a large set as well. Thinking back I can't remember using more than a handful of them. Lots of places sell 11 or 12 piece sets, but how many sizes do you really need if all your using them for, is to hold end mills. Out of curiosity, I grabbed the data below from msc's website, it's end mill shank size, and the count of each.

shank Diametercount
1/8"3450
5/32"6
3/16"1651
1/4"1487
5/16"1112
11/32"1
3/8"4328
7/16"740
1/2"2389
9/16"200
5/8"1495
3/4"1769
7/8"417

Based on my personal experience & the chart, it seems like at most I need 1/8", 3/16" 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" & 3/4" collets. What does everyone else think, Whats a necessity, and whats just nice to have?

I use R8 collets for drills pretty often in the mill so I don't have to move the knee when I switch from mills to taps to drills. So, I have the full set by 32nds, and if I had my druthers, I'd have all the 64ths too.

I used morse collets in my mill, i have six (i think) i found the single size per collet quite frustrating. I generally found the size i wanted was one i didn't have ;)

I use an er32 chuck and purchased a set of cheep'ish collets that holds from 2mm to 20mm with no gaps. Very handy. Their quite popular so theirs a lot of sets about for quite reasonable prices.

The er collets can be got in various sizes (ranges) the higher the series number the larger the collet body is, so you can get them an appropriate size for your mill.

Stuart

You're on the right track but before running out and buying collets, figure out what machine you're going to buy - the nature of the tool holder may determine which style of collet you will need.

For example, our machine uses Kwik Switch 200 series tool holders and there are specific tool holders available for the standard milling cutter shank diameters - so we don't use collets for the standard sizes.

We do have a couple of collet holders that we purchased specific collets for - for example we do a lot of 10-32 threaded holes so we ordered a collet for a #21 drill.

Also, some style sof collets are more common than others - so maybe having cheaper tooling available may sway your choice in which machine you purchase.

You only "need" the ones you use the most. I have a 12pc set and would love to have another 12 in between and then another 24 on top of that. I would just assume use nothing but a collet over a drill chuck. r8 is what my mill uses. Like mentioned, you want what fits your machine

For milling machine collets the one use are 3/16" 3/8" 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" 7/8"
Just keep a I the end mills you buy there ever few out side this range

Dave

I'm getting ready to buy a new mill, and that got me thinking about collets and how many you actually need. The last (and only) mill I owned came with a large set of collets, and pretty much all the other mills I've used had a large set as well. Thinking back I can't remember using more than a handful of them. Lots of places sell 11 or 12 piece sets, but how many sizes do you really need if all your using them for, is to hold end mills. Out of curiosity, I grabbed the data below from msc's website, it's end mill shank size, and the count of each.

shank Diameter
count
1/8"
5/32"
3/16"
1/4"
5/16"
11/32"
3/8"
7/16"
1/2"
9/16"
5/8"
3/4"
7/8"

Based on my personal experience & the chart, it seems like at most I need 1/8", 3/16" 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" & 3/4" collets. What does everyone else think, Whats a necessity, and whats just nice to have?

I'm also in the market to purchase "SOME" Collets for a Jet - 15 (R8) machine I just recently acquired.

However, from the research I've done it seem that buying "JUST" the common sizes I believe I will actually use on a regular basis individually is about the same as most of 11-12 piece sets I've looked at.

With this in mind and the fact that many of the sets I've looked at come with a Holder that can be bolted to the side or back of a work bench - I will most likely just buy a set.

Right now I'm still getting together some cash for the Misc. items purchase.

I bought a set of R-8 collets (1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4") a few years back when I bought my mill drill. Have never used the 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4". I buy all my small end mills with 3/8" shanks. If I have to hold a tool with a shank other than 3/8" thru 3/4" I use a drill chuck.

Tom S

You're on the right track but before running out and buying collets, figure out what machine you're going to buy - the nature of the tool holder may determine which style of collet you will need.

I've already got that figured out, right now I'm just working with the seller on details. The mill in question has an R8 taper, much easier to find than the B&S #9 collets used my my old mill.

However, from the research I've done it seem that buying "JUST" the common sizes I believe I will actually use on a regular basis individually is about the same as most of 11-12 piece sets I've looked at.

With this in mind and the fact that many of the sets I've looked at come with a Holder that can be bolted to the side or back of a work bench - I will most likely just buy a set.

This is true, till you get to the higher end brands, and then you can save a few $100 by just buying the ones you need.

OP, I got a set of r8 collets when I bought my mill that has all the sizes that you listed. I've used them all! I don't use some of the sizes very often, but they're nice to have especially after you buy that odd-sized endmill or cheap set, and start wondering if you've got a collet that will hold it!

Jim

Back