Collets

GTO Kroh

Registered
Registered
Hi guys. I have a box full of collets from my grandpa's old stuff. I have collets. And I have a sleeve. But I'm missing something and I'm not sure what...
I have allot of old machining Tools and equipment I inherited from him. ..

Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

uploadfromtaptalk1423022772940.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1423022795569.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1423022820970.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1423022846457.jpg

Looks like you need the Draw tube to tighten the collets.

They look like 4C's What you need looks like a long pipe with a wheel on one end and threaded inside on the other.... it would be as long as needed to go through the headstock of your lathe (if that is what the collets were used on. )

Ah. They are for the headstock. I was hoping they would work in the tailstock

Ah. They are for the headstock. I was hoping they would work in the tailstock

they will be much more useful in the headstock---what would you use them for in the tailstock---what taper is in the tailstock ? you could get items like a live and dead center, a drill chuck and morse taper drill bits if your taper is a morse ----you probably have these in your accessories----what kind of a lathe is it ? --pictures would be nice------ Dave

And why were you hoping that? By using them in the headstock you can do Very accurate work. I have made 1/8" replacement screws for a small telescope in a big Southbend lathe (W/collet) ...which blew me away ....
What did you want to hold in the tailstock?

How can you tell their 4c Rafe? I would have guessed 5c. Ditto on using them in headstock, I have a hardinge 5c setup and love it.

How can you tell their 4c Rafe? I would have guessed 5c. Ditto on using them in headstock, I have a hardinge 5c setup and love it.
Just a guess because of the proportions ....not as stubby looking as a 5C ....Now that doesn't mean I'm correct ....But they look like 4C's to me and that is what I use with my SB

Nice chart kd thanks. Ive always used the 5c in the lathe and the r8 on the bridgeport type mills. We also have the big 40 and 50 tool holders at work on the big mills and boring machines. And by the way the c collets work great on the mill in collet blocks to cut hex or sguare shapes. Their a lot easier than setting up a dividing head or super indexer. And they are rigid and accurate.
just throw them in the vice and go to milling.

Back