Collet for 618 spindle

cross thread

Registered
Registered
I'm thinking about this collet set up for my 6" Craftsman . What do they call this collet ? Where can they be purchased ?
Thanks , Mark .

Attachments

• 1642804973699.png
    1642804973699.png
    269.2 KB · Views: 21
You can get collets similar to the one you show that fit directly into the #2 Morse Taper of your spindle. A draw bar threaded into the rear of the collet and thru spindle to hold them in place.

I see that Little Machine Shop has a set of those as their special this week: https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/weekly_special.php

Note that the set doesn't include the draw bar; they sell them separately or you can make one with 3/8"-16 threaded rod.

Thanks for the reply LF_WS , I have the MT set up that you mention . I'm interested in the Sutton collet and the # 2 MT nose part , plus the draw in tube and hand wheel for it's Atlas original issue awesomeness , yes I'm a tooling nerd . Please see the collet draw in stuff .

Last edited:
For a drawbar all you would need is a length of all thread rod that fits, a washer and a nut.

That will get you started then you can take your time finding what you may want as the permanent solution. Search for vintage drawbar, buy new? Or just keep the all thread.

Thanks for the reply LF_WS , I have the MT set up that you mention . I'm interested in the Sutton collet and the # 2 MT nose part , plus the draw in tube and hand wheel for it's Atlas standard issue awesomeness , yes I'm a tooling nerd . Please see the collet draw in stuff .

Wow great find of that page with all the accessories. That saved as a pdf I can keep to see later too.

I searched and found the wood turning parts for mine.

That is basically a watchmaker collet set and draw bar. Sherline sells something similar but sized for the Sherline lathe with an MT1 insert. It would actually probably be fairly easy to make one, the most difficult part being the MT2 to WW insert.

https://www.sherline.com/product/1179-deluxe-ww-collet-set-metric/

BTW thanks for adding another project to a long list. I have zero need having the Sherline set for my Sherline as well as a watchmakers lathe, but when has that ever stopped anybody from finding tools that they "need". :)

Last edited:
Cross Thread,

When you say '6" Craftsman Lathe', assuming that it was made by Atlas Press Co., you have only narrowed it down to one of four quite different model numbers. They are, in order of period or date made, :

101.07300 (sleeve spindle bearings, no back gears and only made for one year).
101.07301 (sleeve bearings but most of rest of lathe is same as Timken Bearing second version of Atlas 618).
101.21400 (same except for nameplate as Timken bearing 3rd version of Atlas 618).
101.21200 (same except for nameplate as ball bearing Atlas 3950).

But the latter three all have a 2MT taper in the spindle nose and the same collet capability. Atlas did sell a line of collets for the 6" that are made just like the larger 3AT collets that they sold for the 9", 10" and 12" lathes. Which is a single-ended collet with draw tube and spindle adapter. However, they were only available up to 9/32" capacity. They are quite rare and quite expensive when you do find a set. As much as I hate to do it, I strongly recommend that you go with one of the sizes of ER collets instead. Skip the frequently found 2MT mounted chuck and draw bar and go with the collet chuck that screws onto the spindle nose. They have the advantage that up to just over 1/2" diameter you can feed stock through the hollow spindle. About their only disadvantage is that they are slower than the lever-type to operate as you must stop the spindle and grab a wrench each time that you finish a part. But you can usually find the closer on eBay and elsewhere or make it and you can buy the collets either singly or in sets from any machine shop supplier.

I spotted a few things on that Atlas website that look familiar , now just to find them .

Cross Thread,

When you say '6" Craftsman Lathe', assuming that it was made by Atlas Press Co., you have only narrowed it down to one of four quite different model numbers. They are, in order of period or date made, :

101.07300 (sleeve spindle bearings, no back gears and only made for one year).
101.07301 (sleeve bearings but most of rest of lathe is same as Timken Bearing second version of Atlas 618).
101.21400 (same except for nameplate as Timken bearing 3rd version of Atlas 618).
101.21200 (same except for nameplate as ball bearing Atlas 3950).

But the latter three all have a 2MT taper in the spindle nose and the same collet capability. Atlas did sell a line of collets for the 6" that are made just like the larger 3AT collets that they sold for the 9", 10" and 12" lathes. Which is a single-ended collet with draw tube and spindle adapter. However, they were only available up to 9/32" capacity. They are quite rare and quite expensive when you do find a set. As much as I hate to do it, I strongly recommend that you go with one of the sizes of ER collets instead. Skip the frequently found 2MT mounted chuck and draw bar and go with the collet chuck that screws onto the spindle nose. They have the advantage that up to just over 1/2" diameter you can feed stock through the hollow spindle. About their only disadvantage is that they are slower than the lever-type to operate as you must stop the spindle and grab a wrench each time that you finish a part. But you can usually find the closer on eBay and elsewhere or make it and you can buy the collets either singly or in sets from any machine shop supplier.
Hi Robert , I probably simplify it to much but to me the Craftsman 6" designation goes to 07300 and 07301 . I would say "618" to Identify an Atlas/Craftsman 6" with Timken bearings . 21200 as a MK 2 .
I have wasted some of my day researching the collet in my OP , I think Aaron got it , it is some kind of watchmaker collet .
I have the MT2 collet set up for my 07301 , it works well however I love the stock original stuff .

Back