Collet chuck questions

I thought only D1-3 and D1-4 chucks had 3 pins. Still learning........
Yes that is true. While D1-5 and larger spindles have 6 camlock holes, you don't have to use all 6. You can use just 3 pins for lighter duty use.

Not to discourage you from buying this ..........................................................................

These chucks take 5C , 2J and 22J collets . While the 5C would be beneficial as they can be used in many applications , the 2J and 22J collets are expensive and have no other uses . I'm talking from experience and have owned all these chucks in the past . You're better bet would be a Jacobs flex collet chuck . Collets are readily available and they go up to 1.375 diameter . I don't know what spindle mount you have , but post it here . FWIW , I sold my D1-8 Hardinge closers for $1200 each way back when , one being a 2J and one being a 22J . They were off of my 20" Leblond . They were nice , but expensive as I said . They were replaced with the flex collet chucks . I'm all in for helping anyone spend their $$$$$$ on tooling , so this is only my opinion . YMMV . :)

Back