COLCHESTER CHIPMASTER

Hello ARM, take heart my friend!!! All those issues can be overcome.

The handwheel as others have mentioned has no dial, never has and it actually does not need it.

As Erik has mentioned, the backplate from the chuck can be used for a smaller 4 - 5 inch chuck. The ding seems quite small so it should be no problem to stone out carefully.

The matrix clutch is easy to adjust and there is a plate on the end cover explaining what gap to set it at.

This may be your first lathe so you might not realize what a gem you have. This lathe is VERY capable and since it has a hardened bed will likely have plenty of life left. You also have major rigidity which often can't be had with lathes several times it's weight.

The paint is not an issue at all and is purely cosmetic so leave that until last.

Take the problems one at a time. I would start with the clutch, since it's just a case of re-adjusting. After the clutch, I would add the VFD. This is not a big job and really only requires moving the motor or creating a counter shaft where the variator would be. Again, not a big job if you know a welder and have access to a lathe. Stoning out the any raised edges of the ding on the bed is a 60 minute task, easily accomplished.

Please don't misread this post as condescending. I prayed and waited years for one of these lathes and can attest to their quality. What you have are opportunities to get to know the machine. Any machine you get will require maintenance and repairs over time. I have never been a machinist either (a teacher and firefighter), and if I can chip through a machine re-vamp, anyone can. Don't focus on the whole machine, just one issue at a time.

However... If you choose to part it out, PLEASE let me know as you have a RAPID tool holder and I have searching for tool holders as I have one also and they are hard to find.

Good luck.

Paul.

Looks like a pretty clean machine to me.
I cant see the ding in the way you mentioned, or is it a spot just in front of the chuck on the flat way?
If so, that's where the tailstock would ride, which unlikely would be an issue..

Also you don't need markings on carriage feed wheel, never use those.. too coarse..
Likely never had.

Important ones are on cross feed and compound
Hi DAN
That ding is on the right side. Will need take a separate pic of it.

Hear what U say about the markings. U Guys know better. Do kindly give me Your thoughts on working length to specs, the different ways without DTI's .
thanks in advance.
aRM

Looks like a pretty clean machine to me.
I cant see the ding in the way you mentioned, or is it a spot just in front of the chuck on the flat way?
If so, that's where the tailstock would ride, which unlikely would be an issue..

Also you don't need markings on carriage feed wheel, never use those.. too coarse..
Likely never had.

Important ones are on cross feed and compound

Hello DAN
Trust U Guys had a good Xmas.
Had time to take some closeups, rather more revealing ones. That "ding" is just not a "ding". It is more like crap, on a Bed. Sorry about the lingo, but heck this thing is just nauseating us all the more. Got a good mind to get a pallet jack and dump this piece of sh.t out of the workshop ~!@#$%^&*()P_ U look at these pics and tell me ...........
Compare the last pic of the cross feed hand wheel which the Seller originally sent with what I have now posted ~!@#$%^&*()
This poor little machine was just not abused, it was "BUTCHERED"
Period.
aRM

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't want to fix the lathe, then of course you should move on. Sell this lathe with a description of its faults
and point out how the buyer can fix it or get it fixed. But one does learn a lot fixing a machine like that. I suppose
you have a manual - if not, I'll send you one.

Hmm, let's look at it one problem at the time:

The Matrix clutch should be nearly indestructible.

Like Paul wrote, the variator might be saved - if not, you can always use the original 3 HP motor with a VFD.
That's what I had planned to do. I planned so much, I bought three of them.:lmao:

The feed wheel on the apron has no dial - so that's not defective. I have a DRO I plan on mounting. And now they've become rather cheap.

A backplate - is rather easy to get. It would be much more difficult to get a backplate for a screwed spindle nose. And hey - you can just
fit the backplate from the enormous chuck that's already there. You do need a 5" or 6" 3-jaw chuck and the original light duty 8" 4-jaw independant
chuck also. But those are relatively easy to find - I saw a nice cheap Pratt-Burnerd 8" 4-jaw for sale on "homeworkshop" a few days ago.

I also have no splash guard - I'll put up something attached to the wall. And I took off the chuck guard - it was so ugly. I may get a nicer looking one.

(I have just bought a PB collet chuck with collet set, 5 QC Dickson tool holders and two backplates. And an ISCAR MWLNR 1616H-06SW insert holder
will be on its way to me soon (I already have two boxes of inserts). So now I "need" only the tangential toolholder, I've wanted for a long time.)

Cheers
Erik
Hello ERIK
Just not worth the while taking up Forum space with this piece of ~!@#$%^&*()_+
Will send U the pics via PM
The bed "ding" pics are here below.
And Your "Friend" was the one who insisted we buy this piece of junk.
He only admitted (after we gave him a damn good piece of our mind) that he had not seen this machine at all. The audacity of the moron.
And to think we trusted in his judgement ~!@#E&U*(@#$%^&*()_+
aRM
U look see and revert what U think

A007.JPG A008.JPG A009.JPG A011.JPG A038.JPG A039.JPG IMG-20131003-01115.jpg

These pics are for ERIK.............
And I don't know where all that Oil came from on the splash tray ???
We did not put it there ???

- - - Updated - - -

A047.JPGA017.JPGA014.JPGA048.JPG Guess these are enough to make an "informed" decision.
aRM

A002.JPG A012.JPG A019.JPG A025.JPG A046.JPG A055.JPG A040.JPG A014.JPG A017.JPG A047.JPG A048.JPG

Hi ERIK
Thanks for these individual pointers of the problems.
Seems like if we want to keep her we would need get into the re-furbishing business really seriously.
And this little beast needs a whole lot of going over.
I would love to offer the QC Toolholders to PAUL.
However, I only hope we get a Buyer who won't want them in the first place.

Let's just play this by ear and see what gives at the end of the day.
Will even give the prospective Buyers Your details of the COLLET set.
There's sure going to be some takers, LORD WILLING.

Take Care
aRM

Okay Arm.

Your spindle nose looks as good as mine. Mine may have more small dings on it.

The ding is annoying - but not a problem in lathe use - if you clean it and fill it with "liquid metal" epoxy or something like that.

The top (or compound) slide missing one pin is also no great problem.

The oil is probably seepage from the headstock (or maybe the gearbox) - that has to be fixed.

The price you paid is the same as I paid for mine, transport included.

And Brent is not a friend.

He just wrote me he wanted to buy my 23mm collets. Those I offered you but you wouldn't buy them
because you didn't buy that Weiler Primus.

What to do? I have no idea - earlier, when I have been mad at - or dissapointed over - a purchase, I have had to sell it.
Simply to get it out of my system. And I think you'll end up doing the same. But before you do that, please offer the QC toolholders to Paul (samthedog).

And then sell it to someone who will do the work it takes to make it well again. That someone will then have a nice lathe.
The Chipmaster suffers in the hands of mechanically incompetent people, like the ones before you.

Cheers
Erik

Cheers
Erik

Hi Arm.

You getting into the refurbishing business - I can't really see that before me.

I can do that - possessing, tinkering and fixing is a large part of the hobby for me.

But for you the lathe is a tool to produce something, so it's better to cut your losses.

Don't count on the collet set being available. The brit has returned from his visit. :)

Cheers
Erik

Hi ERIK
U right about most things here.
Starting with the refurbishing - U Guys are more practical in that manner with more exposure, and as U say, it's right up Your alley.
And we need cut our losses, to really move on to finer grounds.
Man, I am happy U starting to smile, 'cos we wish U remain smiling all the New Year, LORD WILLING.
LORD BLESS
aRM

Back