Code vs. Common sense. A disconnect question.

BTW a great source of information with respect to the NEC and its application is Mike Holt. Has a website and also youtube channel covering many common topics.
Grounding vs grounded??? Oh boy.

052.JPGThis is the set up I use. Common receptacle for mill and lathe. Plug is the disconnect. Also provides isolation for ground used to power VFD on mill. Circuit breaker is ten feet away. Hope this may be of some help for you. Regards.

052.JPG

Hey just curious. What is that plug coming out of the box on the left for?
Hopefully not what I think it is. (Major safety problem)

Hey just curious. What is that plug coming out of the box on the left for?
Hopefully not what I think it is. (Major safety problem)

Plug is for the lathe. Is there something wrong with this set up? Not trying to highjack this thread, but if this is unsafe it needs to be corrected. Thanks.

Are the exposed connectors/conductors energized all the time a machine is in use? If so, that is a huge concern!

Normally, the male connection is the load side. That is to say, your machine or equipment would be on the other end and only the female connector would be hanging there with no exposed connectors/conductors.

If your machine was running and you leaned on that connection would you recieved a shock? If so, reverse all your plug connections asap.

Precisely. Thankfully you posted that. It won't be too hard to switch the plug out for a female. Might be good to simply have one receptacle in the box and plug only the machine being used in? Better yet run two outlets on that circuit, one for each machine. You can still have each machine cord and plug which qualifies as disconnecting means.
Stay safe out there.

Precisely. Thankfully you posted that. It won't be too hard to switch the plug out for a female. Might be good to simply have one receptacle in the box and plug only the machine being used in? Better yet run two outlets on that circuit, one for each machine. You can still have each machine cord and plug which qualifies as disconnecting means.
Stay safe out there.

I appreciate your concern. The plug is the load end for the lathe connection. I just utilized the same conduit for the wires coming from the lathe. Nothing live is exposed. The whole idea was to isolate the ground for the VFD on the mill. The same circuit can be used for both machines. Regards.

Back