Cobbled up Sears 109.0702/0703

corbinstein

Registered
Registered
I've got an early Dunlap 109.0702 that someone had bought back gears for an home made a change lever. it may work ok once sorted out.
My issue is the spindle is bent slightly.
I'm considering making a 5/8 spindle and boring the headstock to accept Larger Bushings.
Main reason for this is the 1/2 hollow shaft needs replacing, and someone has put on a larger heavier chuck.
Any thoughts?20201115_173636.jpeg

The spindle on these is well known for being weak and easy to bend, and that chuck does look proportionally too large.
I have seen replacement spindles available on Ebay. Not sure if making a spindle from scratch would be worth the effort.
Overall, the later Atlas lathes are better machines in most respects.
Also, are you missing the tailstock?
-Mark

it's also missing the tailstock, so if anyone has an extra cheap, let me know. Back gears are missing as well as gear covers for thread gears.

I'm in the process of upgrading to a 5/8 shaft with an 18 thread on the end. biggest problem is going to be doing bushings for the head stock.
might not be a big deal yet, but I'm sure it will need the headstock bored.

why they put that tiny little hollow shaft in there is anybody's guess.

If I get lucky, I'll find another one of these lathes in somebody's junk pile and use it for parts, as it's missing enough stuff to make it expensive to replace it all.

I'm in the process of upgrading to a 5/8 shaft with an 18 thread on the end. biggest problem is going to be doing bushings for the head stock.
might not be a big deal yet, but I'm sure it will need the headstock bored.

why they put that tiny little hollow shaft in there is anybody's guess.
it is really cheap that is why.

I have two of these things. The reason why the spindles get bent is that people overload them. They are not 6" lathes, even though they have 6" swing. They are more like 2" lathes. I have turned mild steel round up to 4" in diameter on mine, though.

I made one out of longer 1/2” grade 5 or 8 bolt left it solid. Welded a spacer for chuck to butt up against

Back