CNC gear help.

Keep in mind the path you will be cutting is helical. That will effect the geometry if you attempt to use a form cutter in a boring head/fly cutter, or similar setup, unless you are planning on using a rigid tap cycle to co-ordinate Z axis and spindle motion (similar to what you would do when threading on a lathe). If you are doing that, the form cutter would match the worm profile exactly, just make sure you have enough relief on the tool.

Keep in mind the path you will be cutting is helical. That will effect the geometry if you attempt to use a form cutter in a boring head/fly cutter, or similar setup, unless you are planning on using a rigid tap cycle to co-ordinate Z axis and spindle motion (similar to what you would do when threading on a lathe). If you are doing that, the form cutter would match the worm profile exactly, just make sure you have enough relief on the tool.

Y a I was running code till late last night and stopped. I wrote a simple program that just grooved back and forth. After I did ruffly five teeth I stopped .
There was no helical twist. The teeth meshed , line up properly but just didnt look right. Im not into hacking stuff together I would like to do this right no mater how long it takes.
I need to study more.
My machine doesn't have rigid tapping feature.
That why I wanted to try thread milling the piece.

Back