CNC daydreaming

If you get the old controller running, it might be a chance to see how they operated everything.
Then again, you might just be tempted to use it as is! :)

I wouldn't be afraid of using NT networking if it's on it's own private network. Just drop an extra card in the main PC, and run a dedicated cable to that controller. Drop files to it only from that PC. No need to let the VMC NT beast see the outside world. (It's how I run the old WinXP box that still runs Mach3 for the router...)
Yep. In one part of my life I supervised the networking and servers for a fair sized campus department at one point, basically as a side job while working on my thesis. (Admittedly I avoided "desktop" stuff, aka Windows admin). I currently have a Cisco switch with filtering and routing capabilities, so I have a second subnet that is blocked from the internet router in my home network to reduce exposure for things with limited security.

But, what's the fun if you can't run ssh and remote desktops? ;)

It's really just a matter of time spent, and I have reason to believe there are other problems with the old NT controller as it was throwing alarms before the previous owner lost the CMOS/NVRAM. I have the detailed specs for the servo controllers so I can wire those directly without having to back out those details. The ATC operation would be the only substantial benefit to getting the old system operational beside resale value.

Obviously the big issue is that once I start tearing the old stuff out, that's a lost opportunity if something later stumps me.

Last edited:
Maybe this is like the that proverbial bandaid, just rip it off! (I say this, as i currently have a machine I built from scratch, that needs a new controller, and I'm dragging my feet on that upgrade too... :) )

As my buddy says, "Sometimes you have to break S***(Stuff) to fix S***(Stuff)"...

I heard from Randal this morning. He's in the hospital ER again, the Crohn's is giving him a hard time...
I wish him well.. hopefully he gets treated and is out of pain quickly, but I know that's wishful thinking with Crohn's, it has a mind of its own.

I heard from Randal this morning. He's in the hospital ER again, the Crohn's is giving him a hard time...
I wish him well.. hopefully he gets treated and is out of pain quickly, but I know that's wishful thinking with Crohn's, it has a mind of its own.
Oh no! That is such a difficult disease. Wishing you well Randal.

I wish you well.

I just recovered from surgery. The worst thing is absolutely nothing to do. TV will rot your mind. AND I do not understand the addiction to opiods - leaves you in a brain fog. WHY would anyone WANT to do that to themselves??

AND I do not understand the addiction to opiods - leaves you in a brain fog. WHY would anyone WANT to do that to themselves??
Because their brain chemistry is different than yours. Fortunately, you sound like one those people who can take it or leave it. Others can't.
I was given demerol as a teenager once, after a pretty bad accident (actually wasn't in much pain). I DID NOT like the experience. So, I think I'm one of those that can take it or leave it also.

Randal, hopefully your recovery goes well!

I'll tell you, when you are on pain meds, if the pain is that bad, you don't feel high or disoriented. But if you are not experiencing a lot of pain, then you will be high..

I believe both are factors, personal chemistry and pain levels, in opiod addiction. I don’t even care for more than a very rare one drink of alcohol as far as brain fog. But when my world collapsed to nothing but pain or puking on Friday, I was happy to get dilaudid.

Back