Cnc Course in hobby machinist

Other Drilling Cycles

When we drill continous, the drill bit is retrieved suddenly, leaving a step at the bottom. If we need a soft even finish, we must stop the feed and cut at least one turn on the same Z depth. Here Dwell is useful, and Cycle G82 is specifically designed for that. Let`s see.

G99 G82 X5.66 Y9.178 R0.3 Z-0.75 P100 F7.6;

On this program line, we will start drilling an X and Y from a height of 0.3 above, and will return to that position because of the G99 after we complete the drill. The depth of the hole is 0.75 and the Drill will remain spinning at the bottom for 100 milliseconds because of the P, if it where an X as in a previous example in which we left the coolant over the part for 10 seconds we would have left the drill spinning at the bottom for 10 seconds. P is for miliseconds, X is for seconds, we do not use X or seconds when drilling or we would burn or dull the drill. We must calculate one or two turns at the most to leave a good finish without dulling our drill bit on each hole. Here is how we calculate the precise time according to the rpms at which we are spinning.

Minimum dwell = 120/RPMs

So for our previous example, at which we where spinning a 3/16 drill bit at 1280rpms, a proper dwell time is 120/1280 =0.094 seconds, that is fairly 0.1 or a tenth of a second...P100

There is a rule for Drilling most materials, that is, A drill bit can go in a single strike 3.5 its diameter before getting clogged, after that the risk of breaking the Bit and loosing precious time removing the broken bit is big. We must then retrieve the Drill bit to evacuate the Swarf and chips or well inject high pressure coolant through the spindle and Drill bit that would push up the swarf...How many have a high pressure coolant unit in his shop?. Then we must retrieve the bit every 3 diameters. For very deep holes as we approach the bottom we might need to do it more often. Well, The CNC can do that for you when drilling among other nice features. Let`s see some more cycles.

G83 Is a cycle that includes all previous functions and features but adds the feature of retrieving the drill bit every distance we program. It is called Peck Drilling. This is how is written

G99 G83 X5.66 Y9.178 R0.3 Z-0.75 Q0.56 F7.6;

We removed the Dwell and added a Q function that is simply calculated by multiplying the Drill bit diameter by 3. The CNC will then drill for 0.56 straight, then return to R or 0.3 above the part, to clean the swarf, then return IN RAPID to the depht left less a clearance usually programmed by default at the parameters list. Then start drilling again at the feed ordered until he reaches the next Q depth or finished to the depth requested.

This is tremendously useful when drilling deep holes or on sticky materials. Be generous in short strokes and avoid:nono: going deep in a single stroke. Get the feel by watching how much of the flutes get filled, never let it stick to the drill. Plenty of oil or coolant.

Once you get the feeling and start using short strokes, you will start to feel discomfort that the Drill retracts to R every time and wish it could only retract enough to move the swarf up enough to clear for the next swarf to fit and then continue the Drill...Well, is your lucky day as Code G73 gives you that wished feature. It is called high speed drill because it retracts only Q and not all the way to R. Let`s see how is written

G99 G73 X5.66 Y9.178 R0.3 Z-0.75 Q0.56 F7.6;

As told, Drill retracts only to the last Q and only in the last peck, to R. So it sorts of Pumps up the swarf in Q increments, Drilling faster. A precious tool when making thousands of holes on Grills or Filter screens.:phew:

Nice! I was wondering how far you could drill in one pass. Is there a similar guideline for feed/speed for endmills?

Nice! I was wondering how far you could drill in one pass. Is there a similar guideline for feed/speed for endmills?
Yes, there is, although it varies a lot from tool to tool, brand, machine, material. I will give all formulas ahead...but for now...Lets Tap and thread.

How to Tap on the CNC

Tapping is, a difficult task to attain on the CNC if we do not understand exactly what needs to be done. And a common result is a Broken Tap inside of a part That was almost finished and you have a hard time rescuing the part.
I strongly suggest the use of a floating head commonly sold for Tapping. This head limits the turning degree of freedom, but the Z axes floats about 1", that is the tap travels freely on Z, so if by some means we miss the step when tapping, we do not break the Tap. Machine manufacturers talk glorius about Rigid Tapping and such... So far with a rigid mounted tap I have not been throughly successful. Also, sinking the tap in vegetable Lard does magic.

I will show how tapping in all it`s manners is done, but a floating head will save a lot of time removing broken taps.:angry:
G84 (Right thread tapping) is written as this:

G99 G84 X3.45 Y7.89 R1.0 Z-0.5 F (here is the magic) The feed needs to match the Thread. If you miss a perfect match, prepare to extract a broken tap sooner or later. Also, the rpms and feed rate can not be regulated, once the cycle starts, It can`t be stopped, so is very much like a Nuke button, there is no way back. Tapping needs so much improvement, that many shops buy a manual power assisted Tapping machine and do the tapping by hand.

Let`s say that we need a 1/4-20 UNC thread, after drilling with a No. 7 Drill, as recommended by many tables and machinerys handbooks We need to calculate a feed that will turn 20 times and travel 0ne Inch. So we need to set the RPMs for that TAP, and calculate the Feed rate for such rpms.

Somehow, I might be wrong, I always use half the RPMS suggested for a Drill bit for tapping, So from our last chapter: RPMs= (60 * 4)/0.25=960/2=480 rpms. With that set, I know I need to travel one inch while I turn 20 times so: F = Rpms * Pitch= 480 * 1/20 = 24.

Pitch = One inch of travel divided by the number of threads per inch.

Resuming:

M03 S480;
G99 G84 X3.45 Y7.89 R1.0 Z-0.5 F24;

Ok?

Other Cycles for Tapping are G74 is for a left Thread and Some Controls require for Rigid tapping to call G84.2 for rigid right thread and G84.3 for Left rigid tapping. They are written the same.

Pecking also applies to tapping, and is strongly suggested , all you have to do is place Q in the program line, with 4 to five threads in distance mode, so you just multiply the pitch by 4 or 5 and that is the Q. Oh, I almost forgot, noticed the R a lot higher, well the spindle needs to pick up speed to enter at correct feed, so always leave over an inch above the part for the spindle to accelerate.

Well, here I only wish good luck.

I will cover Interpolation threading in a separate chapter, that is done with special tools, and is commonly used to create big threads, I mean big as I have done 36" in diameter threads...In a 40 inches of travel machine.

have a nice Sunday.:drink2:

Last edited:
thank you
there has been a lot of clear useful information so far
steve

Polar coordinates

So far, we have learned how to make a heading, an end of program, how to drill holes and how to tap them, all in Cartesian Coordinates. Well, when we want to drill holes in Circular patterns, it becomes a headache to calculate the X, Y coordinates of each hole. For that, is easier to use Polar coordinates. Let`s learn how it`s done in CNC.

For Polar movements, we need a Center, a Radius and an angle, let`s see how is written:
G90 G54 G00 X10.0 Y10.0 S1280 M03 (Note the center of our polar pattern at X10. Y10. in cartesian coordinates)
G16 M08; (Polar coordinates on, coolant on)
G99 G81 X3.5 Y30.0 R0.3 Z-0.5 F7.6
Y60.0;
Y90.0;
Y120.0;
Y150.0;
Y180.0;
Y210.0;
X4.5 Y 240.0;
X5.5 Y 270.0;
G15; (Polar Coordinates Off)
G80 M09; (Drilling Cycle Cancel and Coolant off)
G91 G28 Z0.0 M5;
G28 Y0.0;
M30;

This program is for making a 7 hole polar pattern, with a radius of 3.5 at Angles 30 through 210 degrees every 30 degrees. Then a hole at 240º but with a radius of 4.5, then a hole at 270º but with a radius of 5.5. It then cancells the polar command, cancels the drilling command, shut`s off coolant, sends the spindle as high as possible, shut`s off the spindle, sends the table to the front for inspection, ends up the programs, rewinds and opens the door lock.

Well, It`s a great tool to avoid calculating centers of holes in circular arrays and still do them easy, even with different radius. Great tool ah?.

Last edited:
Hole Machinning by helical cutting

So far, We have Done all kind of holes by most methods, but all of them involving a Drill bit. That limits the size of the hole to the spindle nose and power capacity. Let`s remember that common CNC are not Power Drills, so my advise is limit the Drill bit size to 3/4 or 1/2, and never go beyond that. After that sizing, is better to use machinning methods to cut holes. If your control has a Load meter, like Fanuc Controls, never exceed 40% for continuos work.

Well, then let`s understand how to Cut metal by moving the cutter in a Ramp in circles:

After our heading the body of the program should read:

G41 X0.5 D17 F15;
G91 G03 I-0.5 Z-0.25;
I-0.5 Z-0.25;
I-0.5 Z-0.25;
I-0.5 Z-0.25;
I-0.5;
G90 G01 G40 X0.;
G00 Z0.5

Then use our End of program

What this program does is From the center of the hole it approaches a 1" Diameter while compensating. Then starts to ramp a CCW full circle of 0.5 radius while going to Z-0.25, this is repeated for one inch in depht doing helical movement, then it only spins once flat without moving in Z to clean the bottom of the hole. Then Returns to the center of the hole while canceling the compensation and then goes to Z 0.5 above the part.

Whit this program, You can machine very large holes, finish holes or Bore with an Endmill, The limit of this program is the lenght of your endmill cutter. Now remember not :nono:to be lazy and choke your Endmill, Take at least two steps in Radius to give space to your cutter when slotting in circle on large plates.

I hope this serves you well, It is worth of keeping it in the Hard Cover Notebook.

Hello?questions?

Fellow machinists, got any questions?:dunno:
I got the feeling this forum is not being followed. Am I teaching obvious or not needed material? Is this not what you expected?

I have been following pretty closely. I have some knowledge of G-Code already, but have still found this useful (I haven't read through the post on polar commands, though I will do that in the near future).

i have been following right along and have read it several times
i will probably cut and paste into a text document when completed
steve

Back